HybridZ

new cold start info

mobythevan

One of the last things I needed to work out was my cold starting. I had an issue when the car sets overnight it would always start up fine the next morning, but then die because ASE(after start enrichment) didn't last long enough. I think I have this fixed now, but will find out for sure tomorrow morning. In the MSnS_Extra code you can now change the ASE setting to use seconds instead of cycles. The problem was that you only had about 240 or so cycles you could use. I now set my ASE to last for 30 seconds after reading some posts about this on msefi.

Yet another reason to use the Extra code.

Guest Bris280zx

Nice to hear Moby, have you tried the rev limiter on the MSnS extra code? Just interested in how it runs when you hit the rev limit.

Also, are you using an extra output for FIDLE or just ASE?

Mat.

It still died the first time this morning, went lean. ASE is set to 25% right now so I will start raising that in 5% increments, but leaving 30 seconds as the time.

I have the soft and hard rev limiters set, but I have not tried lowering them so I could test it out.

I am using the stock 280zxt bosch type air regulator for fast idle, it only requires a 12 volt signal when the key is turned on.

My engine temp this morning when I tried the cold start was 39 deg F

Another thing I found out, the priming pulse normally gets fired on power up of the MS unit. But if you setup is like mine it takes a second or two of the fuel pump running before pressure is built up in the rail(after setting over night). The extra code allows you to have the priming pulse occur after the fuel pumps runs so you really get the fuel in the engine before cranking. I had noticed a couple times I was not getting the priming pulse.

Changed my priming pulse to happen after 2 seconds, turn key let pump run, prime happens, then crank. Set ASE to 50 and cycles to 45 seconds.

Block temp 40 degrees F, air temp 38 degrees F, started and stayed running perfect.

Now I am waiting for colder morning temps. I have a log book and I want to log off temps in 5 degree increments from 0 to 40 F. At this point I will just keep increasing ASE by 5 until it starts and stays running down to 0 F.

Guest Loose_Screws

Very useful information Moby! Although it's not often that it is very cold here in Alabama, it is still cold enough to require tuning ASE.

nice ...keep this thread around for later use, i will defenetly need all this as my car was so lazy starting in the "cooler" mornings, not even cold. ...and also what do you suggest for -50C moderate chilly mornings :P ???