HybridZ

How much is to much?

Guest J P Rince

Guest J P Rince

I'm putting a chevy 350 into my "73" 260Z. I have seen many Z's with LS1's,TT I-6's, and I've even seen a couple with a small block chevy TT427. The question I'm getting to is torque. Even with a R200 rear end and other mods. What is the best for handling big horspower and torque? Is there a heavy duty rear end out there that you can buy for early and late model Z's? And how much horsepower and torque can the R200 withstand before it throws in the towel?

First off this is not the drivetrain forum. Please post in the correct forum when asking questions about a specific subject. :-)

Search for "R230" its basically Nissans equivalant to the Ford 9"(close in size anyway, not sure if its quite as builtproof?, none the less its one tough rearend). The question is do you want to keep the independent rear suspension or go to a solid axle?

Guy

Guest J P Rince
Ahem... welcome to Hybridz.. The question's you are asking have been asked and answered a LOT here. Check out the search function' date=' and look around a bit, I'm sure you'll fine the answers you need. Just out of curiousity.. how do you have a 73' 260? Wouldn't a 73 be a 240?

:)[/quote']

When I bought the car it was all original from Cal. on the rear hatch there was the 260Z badge. I opened the driver door to confirm what year it was and found it was made 8/73. Since 240's and 260's are some what the same car with few modifications, maybe a few where snuck out the door before badges were switched. Or it could be that the previous owner changed badges. Why he would do that it is unclear why. But call it a 240 or 260. Its a Z no matter what you call it. So thank-you for your welcoming and I will search harder next time before I ask a question.

My car was made 10/74 but it's a 280Z, technically it's a 75. But every time i brought it for State inspection they always classified it under 1974. And since in the old days in Texas state inspection all cars 75 and above required emissions testing i just let him test it as a 74. Who was i to argue with the inspector especially since the 74 and below inspections rates were $20 cheaper because it only needed a safety sticker.

Oh and welcome to the board.

thats funny about the emmison inspector. i had to argue with the one here in AZ cause he wanted to check for emmission gear under my hood. no underhoood here for 73 and back. my car was a cluster with hoses and crap everywhere. got it through without a problem but he fought with me for a few about it.......then flunked me for the poor emmissions numbers it blew. guess in the end he got his laugh. dammit