HybridZ

Fuel pump wiring

I tried a seach, and it didn't tell me wht i needed to know-and i can't seem to find the haynes. does the fuel pump wiring go up into the actual engine bay. Cuz i ended up shorting out sum wiring in the engine bay-rite next to the injector cooling fan-and now my car won't start.....i cant hear my fuel pump and theres no fuel pressure, i've gone through several FPR's, so that mite b a prolem, but i crank it a few times and it builds pressure, so mayb the regulator is bad-idk wht the hell the problem is. Does the wiring go into the engine bay?

You failed to mention exactly what kind of car you have. However I am fairly certain that the fuel pump relays are inside the vehicle on Z's and 280zx's

If you suspect the regulator is faulty (leaking pressure back to the tank) Why don't you try and clamp the return fuel line with some small vise-grips of something?

Another thing you could try is running wires (+ and - ) directly to the fuel pump. I have a motorcycle battery and small motorcycle jumper cables that work really well for that.

There are 3 relays in the fuel pump circuit in the 81ZX na. Yes, there is in that circuit wiring in the engine compartment. Wiring direct to the fuel pump should be done for testing only because some of those relays are for pump shut-off when the rpm and/or oil pressure is lost, it's a safety feature when driving. You need to get the FSM and follow the troubleshooting guides of the engine fuel system.

LARRY

i've actually done the ghetto rigged vice-grip thing a few times b4, i've gone threw 3 regulators already(all used), if it happens again im gonna buy a brand new one. Well it turns out that i was hyped up over nuthin, i heard the fuel pump working today, and it fired rite up, i think its the injector cooling fan that shorted-no big deal LEAST IT RUNS, AGAIN

ummmmm, well, it decides it doesn't wanna start again..i dont hear the fuel pump. My shop teacher brought up a point-some fuel pumps don't work unless theres gas in the tank, so that way it won't burn itself up. Mite make sence, seeing as how my fuel gauge doesn't work, so idk if i have gas neway. Do the Z's have a pump that shuts off when theres no gas in the tank. What else could this mean?

wht does that mean exactly, that when i fill the tank-2 gallons goes directly to the pickup-could it b possible that i ran out of gas and the pump shut off so it doesn't burn itself up.

Besides a dead fuel pump, or bad wiring-would there b another reason y the fuel pump isn't working?

On another note, i recently heard: the gas u use in starting the car is equivelant to running the engine for 20 minuts. i know that this would b give or take depending on the displacement, and idle speed-but does that sound about rite?

With your fuel gauge not working, take your lawn mower gas can to the gas station and fill it up, bring it back and pour it into your car's tank. Now try starting the car and don't pump the gas pedal. As I had stated earlier you have a fuel shut-off relay on your car. With no rpm or oil pressure that relay shuts off the fuel pump (like when you have no gas in it), not just to save the pump but to save you in case of an accident so that the fuel is not being pumped all over that could start a fire. Never run out of gas with a efi system because of damage it could cause to it. Next, fix that fuel gauge and get the FSM.

LARRY

dont leave, ur being a HUGE HELP.

what would cause my fuel gauge not to work-is there like one of those things like the head temp sensore-that screws everyone up, sumthin that u replace a small piece and it works like new. If i hafta clean the contacts and all, where are the contacts i need to clean-i know of the one rite above the cover of the fuel tank in the trunk.

Guest tony78_280z

Before asking a question, you should give us some kind of background about what model/year your car is, what mods it may have that might be related to your problem, and what other symptoms that may or may not be related.

I assume you have a 280zx by a few hints you dropped. Is it turbo or not? Have you upgraded anything in the fuel/intake yet? Your fuel guage doesn't work. How long has been broke, and DID YOU RUN IT OUT OF GAS?!

I Ran my Z out of gas once. It was the begining of the end for my EFI.

By running it out of gas you could have sucked crud up into your pump causing it to burn up. or clogging your fuel filter and possibly and injector or two.

And then there is the more technical crap in an EFI system that could be damaged by running it out of gas. Stuff that I don't understand and can't help you with.

Hot wire the fuel pumpe + to + and - to - like the man said. If it don't hum or buzz it's shot. Of course it may hum or buzz and still be shot. Put a two litter bottle over the end of your fuel line, jump the wires and notice the volume of gas coming out. Should be a good stronge stream. This is, of course no true technical way to determine your fuel PSI, but it might give you an idea of your fuel flow. Then goto a JY and get a few fuel pumps. And swap them out until one pumps gas. Then hook it all back up and hope it starts.

You might look into getting your tank boiled and sealed when you dive into replace that faulty sender unit?

FSM = Factory Service Manual

EFI+NO GAS = LOTS OF MONEY

Do yourself a huge favor, get like a 5 gallon bucket... and break the drain screw on the tank loose... see how much Sh@t comes out into the bucket, look at the color of the fuel, notice the smell, see if there is any water in it. When you put the new 5 gal of fuel in, add a quart of 100% rubbing alcohol or the highest percantage you can find. This will take water outta the fuel system. then in the engine compartment, replace the fuel filter, while the line is off... hot wire the pump and force it to pump fuel... flush all the crap outta your lines. then put the

filter on, hot wire the pump again so the filter fill of fuel. Take off your return line, and wait untill fuel starts to come out of there. Now your system should be primed. check for spark, and try to start the car.

Best of Luck,

Ed