HybridZ

sr20det power w/stock turbo & ecu

crazy280

So I'm planning my SR swap, but I'll be limited to the stock ecu and turbo initially because of funds. I'll upgrade later, but I want to get it all setup and running first. So I'll have 3" exhaust, EBC, and FMIC, with an S13 red top. The stock turbo is what, a T25? Can I safely run 15 psi with this setup, and what kind of RWHP can I expect?

Friend/Customer of ours we did the swap for in the white 240z i posted a video of him launching a while back is running 256whp and 252wtq on 15psi and these are his mods: Greddy intake manifold, full 3" exhaust, custom fmic, tial bov, blitz boost controller and walbro gsl392 fuel pump with surge tank as well. Yes the stock turbo is a T25, you can run 10 psi daily and 15psi every once in a while, but 15psi daily on the stock T25 would kill it really quickly.

Here is the link to the video i posted a while ago:

http://www.vildinimotorsport.com/gallery/images/mattlaunch.mpg

Ah, ok. I had heard that the S14(T28 )and S15(T28 hybrid?) stock turbo was much better than the S13's. So I guess the T25 just can't handle the load/heat of 15 psi for very long. So is your buddy using the T25 to get those numbers? I was slightly unclear. By the way, how much do those Greddy intakes cost? I noticed you were running one on your car, too.

Yea my friend/customer is running the stock s13 t25. The S15 came with a dual ball bearing T28 which has been proven to above 300whp with the right tuning. The greddy intake manifold costs around $450-480. They are much better than the stock manifold though.

You can get the "Topspeed" manifold off ebay for a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for. It's much better than stock... but making it work as well as the greddy requires a lot of port work.

I've also heard of some of them leaking through the porous casting because its not casted so well.... but many people are using them with very good results.

The Greddy or Topspeed knock-off will give you a bit more top-end power... it holds the peak power out for a couple hundred more RPM (right up top where it counts, too!)

It's pretty easy to bolt the manifolds on with the motor installed... I would assume. You'll have more room than the original car the engine came out of, and I had plenty of room to pull the manifolds in my old 180sx. (of course its easier if you pull the motor though... maybe you should just do that) :-D

Yeah, I prefer to do my work on an engine stand, if possible. I'm pretty tall and its a real PITA to bend over the engine compartment if I don't have to, you know? So does the SR use a knock sensor? It would help considering the crap they force us to pump into our gas tanks here in Cali.

• 3 months later...

don't go above 12-13psi without having the car on a dyno when you do it. wideband will let you know what's happening... some cars have maxxed the OEM MAFS (depends on plumbing, ambient conditions, etc). injectors can handle 13psi happily, 14-15 if you bump the fuel pressure a tad. t25 doesn't like to be strained, I personally won't ever set mine above 14psi, but it tapers off like crap above 5500 rpm anyway, the thing is too dang small. A T28 is definately an improvement; if you can get your hands on an S15 T28 and some 550 injectors you're good for just about 300wHP with good tuning...

• 1 year later...

total sh$t, ive got a friend that got one for his 89 240sx with an sr and it was warped, and cost him more than he bought it for to have the mounting surface machined down and decked. if your gonna go ahead and spend hte mulah for this swap, get the good stuff, otherwise it's just half a$$.

Honestly, the shorty runner manifold isn't necessary unless you're looking at big power. You're going for budget with the stock ECU and stuff, so just use the stock manifold.

I made over 400hp through the stock manifold, throttle body, head, cams, and actually the entire engine. (with a T04S turbo kit on it) Yes, there were some top-end flow problems, but until you pass 300hp or so, you won't even notice the difference. 350hp is comfortable on a stock setup.

On my dyno sheet, you could see power falling off over 7000rpm, but I dynoed 395rwhp before it fell off. (and the car Gteched low 11's all day)

So save your money for now, put it into the swap. You may need it.