HybridZ

LSD options for my Ford

jonzer12

This is a non-Z related post.

I recently purchased a 01 F-150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4 and a sterling 9.75 3.55 rear end. Only problem is that its an open rear end and living in the Canadian north I am using 4x4 almost 75 percent of the time. I have looked at a few aftermarket options but have not come to any conclusion. I don't want a locker as I am not into heavy off roading or towing, I do some fishing and mild off roading but nothing drastic, just enough to force me into some decent off road tires. I am looking for a relativley maintence free, moderate priced solution that will behave well on the highway and around town but not let me down off road. Anyone have any advice, I am looking around for a stock piece but there doesn't seem to much available in my immediate area. Also the truck just cracked 60 thousand kilometers today. If I do buy a LSD unit, anything else I should change in the rear end while I am at it?

Thanks,

Jonesy

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/products/default.asp?vid=6&pid=4

Looks like your choices are Ford (looks like it is made by Eaton in this case) and Auburn Gear. The Eatons tend to chatter less and are rebuildable, so that would be my suggestion.

EDIT--Actually I would make sure that the Eaton is not the Gov-Lock. The Gov Lock sucks and you'd be better off with the AG in that case. If it is the good Eaton, then get the Eaton.