HybridZ

Mastless Antenna Source?

Jolane

Hi,

I am currently doing the body work on my 72, and would like to find a stereo antenna that is hidden, so I can fill the original hole for it. I never really liked the stock power antenna, and think the car looks funny with any antenna. So, I would like to find a mastless antenna, if possible, to use instead. I do not recall seeing an antenna on a newer Porsche 911, but they must do something right? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do about this? My Suburban has the antenna built into/onto the windshield, and I don't think I can get just the antenna separately. If I could get a stick-on to put across the top of the windshield or rear window, that would work great.

If a regular antenna is not available, what about a satelitte radio (Sirius, XM) antenna. All I have even seen are the little black boxes. I would really like something hidden, or at least inside the car on the dash or in the rear area. Anybody know how I might accomplish this task of hiding the antenna before I fill the existing hole (I would like to plan ahead).

Thanks,

Joshua

I use a marine style antenae designed for use in smaller powerboats. They just put the antenae under the dash.

I fixed mine to the inside of the windshield by the A pillar. It is about 3-4 inches long and 3/4" square. Works good enough for me.

I actually bought it from a custom stereo shop. I suppose they do custom stuff for boats too! hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

Any piece of wire of approximately the correct length will make a suitable antenna, the trick is to put it where it isn't shielded from the metal car chassis. Try running a piece of wire through the dash, or up one of the windshild pillars. Metal will absorb the signal, so put it as close as you can to the glass, and then cover it with the plastic trim. You should have no trouble getting the stronger stations with that kind of setup. You can also make an 'active antenna,' which is a powered circuit that resonates at the selected frequency. Plans are all over the web. That type of antenna usually needs only a few inches of wire.

... You can also make an 'active antenna,' which is a powered circuit that resonates at the selected frequency. Plans are all over the web. That type of antenna usually needs only a few inches of wire.

Is that for real??? I'll have to do a web search and find a good link for it. "Active antenna" eh? Hmmm.

Davy

I'm going to shove mine inside one of my rear fiberglass fenders. No signal shielding from fiberglass. I like the hunk-o-wire method. Sounds cheap and easy. So about how long should the "hunk-o-wire" be? and what about the coax connector? It has an inny and an outty. Which one do I connect to?