HybridZ

Since we have alot of texas members, need 411 on texas/houston area machine shops

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright i didn't know where else to post this, but i need to start researching machine shops, i need someone who will do the job right the 1st time as i can't afford for it to get botched or deal w/ a pissy machinist.

So for those of you in the houston or ajoining area that have done a rebuild, what shops did you use, what was your average bill / work list?

I'm also willing to cart/ship the components to austin/san an/DFW if the service warrants it.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Nickens brothers racing in Houston does good work, Have machine work done there when I build engines in Houston for a buddy of mine. Doing a 455 Olds right now with Edelbrock aluminum heads for a 64 or 65 olds 442, whichever year was the first year they made them.

whats your usual bill / work list like with them? if you don't mind sharing...

Guest 73Turbo240z
Theres a really good machine shop in conroe that i've used. He doesn't advertise' date=' but his work speaks for itself. He's worked on Z's before so he knows his stuff. The guy own a machine shop behind Napa parts store off 105 I believe. If your interested let me know.

-Ed[/quote']

If he's competent w/ a Z block, and his prices are good, definately interested... shoot me a PM w/ a name/addy/number/whatever and i'll check it out or go have a chat w/ him in person, totally worth the hour drive if he knows his stuff.

Bills, crap, have to sort through bills. Not cheap. Complete machine work on a sbc and a bbc, which included bore and hone with deck plates for aluminum heads to fit pistons exactly, align hone, square, clearance for big rods/stroke, deck plugs in sbc, vat, bearings, rings, pistons, cranks, resize rods, complete redo on heads (guides, valves, seats, new springs etc.), balancing, install cam brgs. A little over 7K for both engines.

OK I want to post this on here so All the Houston Area Z guys can reference it. The Machine Shop is behind NAPA auto parts in Conroe. The Number for Napa is... 936-756-5551. Just talked to the guy, he's been doing it for 30 years. He's done two heads for me and some other little here and there stuff. He comes highly recomended by me.

-Ed

Guest 73Turbo240z

just to make sure i'm not missing anything...

but presuming i supplied all parts, what would i want to get a quote on as far as physical work done? It would need to from the parts i supply, to an assembled shortblock, i'd do the head/timing chain stuff myself... just a lowere end assembly...

my block has already been tanked & magnafluxed.

So far i know i'll need to have the block bored for the bigger pistons, but do i have to have reliefs cut in the pistons for the valves? or is the L28ET a non-interferience engine? also what are some good bearings to use?