HybridZ

PPG vs. Nason? Single Stage Help!

Sparks280zt

Hi guys I did a search on this and didnt come up with much. Basically the guy that is painting my car wants to use the Nason single stage. Nason is made by DuPont and i hear its there cheap stuff. I personally dont care if he wants to use single stage becuase he is giving me a great deal. Anyways is nason worth a flip? I want to use PPG Concept because it is a single stage and is real nice. Anyone used nason or PPG Concept? Pros, con of each?

I've use the nason line of paints...and well, they're better than some, but far from top of the line. Personally, I thought the build and coverage wasn't real great, but you can still end up with a decent finished project. As far as the PPG concept line...never used it.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I wouldn't use Nason on any of my personal vehicles, but I use it on cars that I'm planning to sell. Even then, I use base/clear. Why are you using single stage? Have you SEEN any of the guy's paint jobs?

Friday I bought Nason base, clear, reducer, and activator for $85 for enough to do a whole car and have leftovers.

The base was only $10 for a half gallon, the reducer was $15 for a gallon, and the clear/activator kit was $60.

Yea I have seen alot of his work, and its not show quality, but very nice for a street car. I am not sure why he likes single stage so much, maybe cause it is less work. He likes to lay 4 or 5 coats with the single stage then mix in some clear at the end and shoot one more coat. I have seen the PPG concept on some cars over on classiczcar.com and it looks real good, I guess I will go with it, I have heard nothing great about Nason.

I would agree with you about single stage as long as it's a solid color. If it's a metallic then I think you're better off with bc/cc. Base coat is so easy to spray and touch up, if you get something in it you can usually pick it off and shoot the panel or even the spot. Plus it dries so quick nothing seems to get in the basecoat, at least for me but I'm no pro.

But for solid colors, you gotta love a blocked and buffed single stage. Nothing looks better.

• 2 weeks later...

If I may, I'd like to throw a word of caution out. If the painter that you have selected ONLY shoots Nason, you might not be pleased with the end-result if you 'force' him to use PPG. Not all paints 'flow' the same when painting, and in my experience it is best to stick with what 'your painter' is most comfortable shooting.

Now, this is NOT an endorsement for Nason, because I think that it is crap. I think that it is wisest to spend the money and use QUALITY products on something as important as your paint; but, that may also necessitate you finding another painter (if you heed my warnings about letting 'your painter' use the product that they are most comfortable shooting).

Based upon some of your comments, I'm gathering that you are not expecting Concours quality; but, the paint job is the FIRST thing that attracts the eye to your car...why not make it the best that you can possibly afford?

RacerX is the site 'paint guru', and he may disagree with my point(s), at which, I would recommend following his advice as he has helped me a great deal.