HybridZ

Charging system question..

Guest Brian260ZT

Guest Brian260ZT

I'll try to make this brief :)

Car: 1974 260Z

Problem: While the car is running, and only sometimes, the charging output of the alternator is not making it back into the car's electrical system.

How do I know? The AMP meter reads below the mid-mark, the lights start dimming, etc.

Then (while driving) I'll hear a click (could just be the AMP meter) and the charging system will be working as normal.

This was occuring with my original alternator with an external regulator. I have converted to an internal regulated alternator.

Looking at the wiring diagram I don't see any relays .. I do see a mechanical 'shunt' that is located just below the external regulator.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

I belive you allready found it "The Shunt" is the first place i would look , im not really sure how the item works but i do know it has something to do with the Ampmeter showing Charge or Discharge.The book says there are two 3 amp fuses in there. I would take the cap off and make sure the fuse holders are clean and then replace the fuses.

Or i guess it could be the voltage reg itself,did you replace it yet?I might be wrong but i think the book means teh Shunt works the amp guage. but not sure?

Im pretty sure someone will chime in on this has more info than i . i dont have the stock charging sys on my car anymore.

G/L

Rob P

Guest Brian260ZT

I looked at the 'Shunt', it has no type of switching mechanism in it. It's just a glorified resister for the AMP guage.

I'll keep looking...

thanks!

Brian

• 1 month later...