HybridZ

Fuel Sender Post

Guest Brian260ZT

Guest Brian260ZT

I replaced my fuel level sender with a shiny new one! :) Now I'm looking for replacement connectors to connect to the posts on the fuel level sender. The post is shaped like a nail head.

Nissan can't get the connectors (specific to the early Z). Does anyone know of a modern alternative? Or an alternative of any type?

Thanks,

Brian

I have a idea, but it would have been better to do BEFORE you installed it in the tank. You could get some heavier gauge wire (12 or 10?) and solder wires directly to the terminals. Use something to insulate the soldered areas (perhaps silicone or a hot glue gun?) Then if you have a foot or so of wire hanging off the sender you can make some sort of electrical plug. You can buy a trailer style plug, you can get them in a two pin version. Or better yet go to the wrecking yard and get a nice plug off of some car's harness. GM has some really nice waterproof ones on their vehicles.

I'm looking for replacement connectors to connect to the posts on the fuel level sender. The post is shaped like a nail head.

Do you have your old sending unit to compare it to?

On my '77 sending unit, it kinda looks like a rivet. I'll post a pic if you want.

A small screw (2-56 or maybe 4-40) might do the trick as long as you still have insulators available.

So Nissan sold you a new sending unit that did not have the pigtail wiring on it? Please advise, as I was looking into ordering one, unless I figure out how to get the low fuel sending unit working again.

Wayne

Guest Brian260ZT

So Nissan sold you a new sending unit that did not have the pigtail wiring on it?

That is correct.

The new sending unit is identical to the old one.

The problem is that my old wiring connecters are boogered beyond repair.

There's an automotive electrical specialty store in town that I plan on visiting this week. I'll post any updates, if someone here doesn't beat me to it.

Brian-

Is your sending unit a 2 or 3 pole unit? Radio Shack, in the back of the stores they have thier brand of Mate-N-Lok connectors. Although I would prefer to use GrayZee's idea using the trailer connector (being weather resistant). Another possibility would be to adding a sheath to the wiring loom to cover the connector body, but that would kinda be stretching it. I can already hear the onlookers dismay ~::Hey dude, what's with the condom?::

I have used http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/connectors.html to purchase the amp connector boots for the EFI connectors under the hood, they may have something that you could incorporate. They also have the japanese bullet connectors with sleeve.

Good Luck!

Wayne

I ordered my sending unit from MSA a while ago and it came with the pigtails, however if your posts are what i'm thinking... my carter fuel pump uses the same type of hook ups... kinda like a nail with no point, and a mesh pattern ingraved on it? Maybe carter can send some hook ups, although the ones on my pump fall off... so taht might not be such a great idea.

-Ed