HybridZ

R200 Install Question / cv to stub axle

EvilRufusKay

When I bought my R200 LSD I also got axles w/ cv's. I am getting ready to install and I also plan on going 5 lug. My question is, do I need an adapter to go from the back of my stub axle to the newer cv axle? If so, would this be an option?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=7955360341&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Because if I could avoid the adapter by having Ross drill these into the 5 lug pattern it would be cool!

What CV's are you using? 300ZX CV's or 280ZX CV's? Those companion flanges listed on eBay only work with those stub axles. I'm assuming you are running 280Z stub axles?

EDIT: Those stub axles listed on eBay will not work in your S30. stony had his strut assembly machined for those to work in his S30, but afterwards decided to go to a solid axle. I'm thinking the cost of machining your strut assembly would be far more than just getting Ross's adaptors.

!M!

The diff and cv axles are out of a 300zxtt.

the only 300ZXtt's were from 90+. Those cv's wont install properly as there too long..at lease i have never come across that install. Do you have an R200 or an R230? the 300ZXTT's had R230's, the 84-89 300ZXT had the R200's. The thing to do is get an R200 from an 84-89 300ZXT set of 84-89 300ZXT cv's and get the adapters from Ross. He will also send you a pdf that outlines the very sinple process of shortening the 300ZXT cv axle to make the perfect geometry with his adapters. also, get a set of 280Z stub axles with the 27 splines. They are stronger...or you can go with Ross' 280Z axles that he makes and get them drilled to whatever you want, there the strongest! This will allow a direct swap. No fabrication required. Im doing the installation that you are doing right now. I havent got my adapters in yet...should be here any day now. I will be ably to drive my car the day they come in. check out my site:

http://www.magshooterz.com/R200Info.htm

Red,

Awesome write up!! Thanks much!! I got a little trigger happy with the "T's" in my post. My diff and axles are out of a 84-89 300ZXT. Thanks again for the info, I guess I will be sending my stubs to Ross and adding the adapters to my order. Post here again when your swap is done, although I have already bookmarked your site. :wink:

Rufus

Did you say you wanted to convert to 5 lug at the same time??? The '87 - '89 turbo stub axles are 5 bolt and identical in every other way to the 4 bolt stubs used in the earlier 4 bolt Z31's.

that is correct, however, your strut housing needs to be machined to use these. this probably isnt the easiest way to get a 5 lug setup.