HybridZ

300ZX rear brakes on Datsun 510

Guest Cazzzidy

Guest Cazzzidy

Hey guys,

I am new here, this is my first post. I have a Datsun 510 race car project that I have been working on off and on for the past year and a half. Right now I am working on my suspension and brakes.

I have the Arizona Z Car Wilwood (12.2" vented rotor, 4 piston caliper) big brake upgrade kit installed up front on shortened 280ZX struts. This is going to be A LOT of stopping power up front for a 1900 pound car.

I am interested in doing some low traction racing in the car. For this reason I will be using proportioning valves to (at times) give the rear higher brake bias. For this reason I need some pretty big brakes in the back of the car. However, after spending so much money on SR20 parts, ground control suspension, body work, etc... I am on a budget now.

I need the biggest brakes possible in the back using Nissan parts. I want to use the stock Datsun 510 control arm, spindle, hub, and bearings. I am pretty sure the best bolt on rotor is the 4 hole 300ZX (Z31) rear rotor. I dont mind fabricating a caliper braket or welding on the control arm if neccesary. I am a pretty handy guy.

My question: Napa has three different listings for rear 1985 rotors. They have a non turbo, turbo, and canadian. The 4 hole is the "non turbo" rotor, right? What is the canadian?

My second question: What are the advantages and disatvantages of the various calipers that will work with this rotor? From what I have read, you can use a 280ZX, 300ZX or 200SX rear caliper on this rotor? Which has the most clamp? Which is smallest? Do they mount differently? Any one have pictures?

My last question: Any other opinions/criticisms/thoughts on Z brake parts on the back of a dime?

Thanks so much. This forum is awesome.

Welcome to the forums - The 'Canadian' rotor is a 4-holer, but a bit larger in diameter. I would look into the 240sx rear caliper, as they are pretty common and with Modern-Motorsports mounts, they may be a bolt-up for the dime also. I know that the 240Z rear brakes would interchange with the 510, so I think that any package for the early Z will do you fine. Check out MM's website for some ideas. If you are handy, you can probably JY shop for the hardparts and make the brackets yourself. If you want to go real crazy, look at the aluminum 2 piston Z32 rear calipers with matching rotors, or possibly late Z31 vented rear rotors. You would have to re-drill the rotors to a 4 bolt pattern, but that isn't a big deal. That would be all the rear brake a dime would ever be able to use.

Doug

:roll: If I remember right you can use both the 280ZX package and the 240SX package on the 510. If you need drawings of mounts for the flat plate for the 280ZX mount. I can send them to you, if you want. Just send A e-mail to the following adddress and I will send you the design: DayDreamer1002001@Yahoo.com . Outlaw brakes and Modern Motorsports carry the plate for the 240SX mounts. I would attach the file here. But I can not seem to be able to. The non-turbo disc are the ones you will need for the 280ZX package.

Guest Cazzzidy

Hey guys,

I have some new insight here.

First of all, let me explain that it is very, very common and easy to swap 200SX rotors and 200SX/Maxima calipers onto the rear of a 510 using a very simple, flat caliper bracket that bolts to the control arm where the drum backing plate was. The 200SX has a 10.xx" solid rotor... decent for most 510s.

Now, today I found out by buying a bunch of rotors and measuring that non turbo, 4 hole 300ZX rear rotors and 200SX rotors are EXACTLY THE SAME in every way except diameter.

It is starting to be clear that 300ZX brake parts will swap on just as easily as 200SX brake parts, which as I said is tried and true.

Now I need to find some calipers.

I am hoping that the calipers from 200SX and Maximas will be of similar shape and design as 300ZX sized calipers. I am hoping I will be able to use a slightly longer and redrilled 200SX conversion bracket for the 300ZX parts. I just need a bigger caliper that has the same distance between mounting point and rotor surface as the 200SX/Maxima caliper. Did I make that understandable?

Does anyone know anything about this? Can anyone suggest a caliper that will be of adequate size that shares the same mounting profile as a 200SX/Maxima caliper? Where can I find information on this sort of thing?

Thanks, Cassidy

Guest Cazzzidy

Hey guys,

My quest for rear brakes is coming along nicely. I need to know something though:

How is a 300ZX caliper oriented on its rotor on a 4 hole, NA 84-86 300ZX? Is it on top, bottom, front or rear? How about a 240SX caliper, and by the way, what year 240SX calipers will work with the 300ZX rotor?

Sorry for the barage of questions guys,

Cassidy