HybridZ

The Dark Side

I am thinking of going to what I like to call the dark side or going to a chevy motor. The plans are for a Ford probobly something about growing up and watching endless boring lines of 350 powered camaros at the drag stip always made chevy stuff not very apealing to me even if it is a good motor:) Any way I was at the wrecking yard today and found a police car with an LS1 in it. It was a repo the came without keys so they dont know anything about it but the car looks to be in OK shape. Any way they said they will sell the motor for $500 with all the accesories and wiring etc or the entire car for $1000. I think the car was a caprice with an automatic transmission. Any way not keeping up with chevy stuff I was curios what the stock HP rating was for this motor. Not sure of the exact year but I believe early 90s probobly. Thanks in advance for any help

That is probably an LT1 and 80LT1 is correct it will have iron heads. They can be swapped for the aluminum for a reasonable price though. If you can get the whole motor and harness for 500.00 I'd do it, but skip the tranny as it's probably shot. I'm swapping the engine from one of those Caprices into my 240 and the tranny was shot in the one I found so I went with a 5 speed.

BTW: The iron heads are rumored to flow about 20 percent better than the aluminum heads.

Wheelman

Make sure it is actually an LT1, not a TBI motor. Even with iron heads, the price is right IMO. As was stated previously, ditch the tranny unless this is in a running car that can be checked out. Just because they don't have the keys is no reason NOT to hotwire the car. I would try to get them to let you test drive the car. You can make it seem like you would want to buy the whole car if it drives like you 'expect' it to. If the tranny slips at all, just take the motor. You'll be able to go T5 or T56 with that engine anyway if you want a stick or 2004R or 700R4 for an auto.

Davy