HybridZ

Can it be done?

240ZR

Yes it can be done and it has in a 240z. The 240 had the maxima diesel swap in it and sold on ebay not to long ago. Biodiesel is awesome, my dads truckin company makes it and uses it in there big rigs. It costs him about $.30 a gallon! You have to keep biodisel heated during cold weather because it will gell if you dont. Anyways the 240 on ebay with the diesel motor was a bio-diesel car, i think it had a website? cant remember

Guest Figlio_del_Diavolo
Yes it can be done and it has in a 240z. The 240 had the maxima diesel swap in it and sold on ebay not to long ago. Biodiesel is awesome, my dads truckin company makes it and uses it in there big rigs. It costs him about $.30 a gallon! You have to keep biodisel heated during cold weather because it will gell if you dont. Anyways the 240 on ebay with the diesel motor was a bio-diesel car, i think it had a website? cant remember
Any diesel should be able to run off biodiesel. A friend of mine here at school has a Golf TDi and runs it off of biodiesel whenever he can fill up with it.

Guest 240zJake

They also make a conversion for diesels that lets them run used cooking oil/grease from burger joints. Car is started from a small tank of regular diesel until the engine can warm up the grease then it switches over and you use the burger fat to run the car.

They also make a conversion for diesels that lets them run used cooking oil/grease from burger joints. Car is started from a small tank of regular diesel until the engine can warm up the grease then it switches over and you use the burger fat to run the car.

Yes thats biodiesel, the kits cost about $4000 and up but they pay for themselves quick when you are burning 200 gallons a day like my fathers company does. With the newer kits you do not have to start it on regular diesel, just start it on the bio and go.

Guest 240zJake

Biodiesel is the same stuff but it has had the glycerin removed chemicaly so that it does not have to be heated first. If you use the kit and its for personal use you can just get restraunts to give you the grease they have after cooking at little to no cost.

Yes, we have found the grease from asian resturants is the best and they love to give it away. Around here resturants have to pay to get it hauled off so thats why. I think we ordered our kit from biodiesel solutions and it makes 96 gallons a night. It is very easy to use, just pour in the methanol and lye and turn the timer and you are done! Biodiesel is the only alternate fuel source we have right now that is readily available, people think hydrogen is the answer? I suggest anyone who thinks that it is research it a little more and you will be disapointed. So basically we are all gonna die when oil is dried up. :-D Can someone move this to the Nissan L6 forum?

Does that grease need to be refined somehow first, or do you just dump it straight from the fryer to the car?

Guest 240zJake

I think there is one kit where you do not have to refine the oil first, just filter it. But you stiull have to have a small tank of regular diesel to get the car warm first so it wil melt the grease and then after driving it has to run on diesel again when shut off to clean the grease from the lines.This seems more like something you would have to make your self as I cannot find a kit to do this.

There is another conversion that uses refined grease, I believe Sparks280zt said they use lye, that does not use the diesel tank. It seems to be the better option.

yes there are two processes. The first uses veggie oil from restaurants that you have to convert. You need to agitate, heat and add lye to it. The end results are biodiesil and glycrein. So if you want to make soap too it is good for that. It can also just be dumped as it is biodegradable. The second is where you use straight filtered oil in your car. The oil does have to be heated first. You use 2 tanks, one with a heater attached to it to heat up the veggie oil, the second to run actual deisil. People use turbo timers to let the car run for a minute after shut down to flush the engine with real deisel so it will start the next morning. Otherwise it will congeal in the engine. I myself want a 87 Mercedes turbo deisel wagon to do this to. It would be so nice to have cheap fuel.