HybridZ

Wastegate runner and heat expansion?

auxilary

ok, so I have a dillema: I am fabbing up a downpipe for my Z, and the problem is that since the turbo's ont he wrong side, I have minimal spacing for my external wastegate. It's a tial 44mm unit, so it's not exactly small... The easiest way to do it is to run it from the wastegate runners (i'll have to cut a portion off to angle it the other way and weld on a vband included with the wg) and dump it straight into the downpipe, because of small clearance.

PICT0147.sized.jpg

Here you can see the wastegate runner (the part that's pointing towards the bottom of the screen will be cut and rerouted to be straight), no downpipe mockup

PICT0061.sized.jpg

downpipe mockup, no wastegate. you can see that I have very little clearance

wg.jpg

Here's the world's dirtiest ms paint diagram of how it's supposed to run. So my question is....

Can I just have everything welded straight up, or do I need to put some sort of a tiny flex pipe where the 3" mark is for the wastegate dump pipe into the downpipe? Will there be significant heat expansion to cause cracks and make something break down the road, or can everything be solid stainless steel? (304)

If you weld everything up solid, after a couple heat cycles, everything will be out of alignment and you won't be able to get your vbands to line up if you take the WG off. Ask me how I know. The thermal stress will eventually crack the weakest point.

I have a similar WG dump length on my L-series, I ended up making a double-overlap slip joint and it works well. The outlet on the WG has two concentric pipe sections, welded together at the WG flange. The downpipe has a single pipe welded to it, that is sized to slip between the two pipes on the WG flange. It was easy to make, all you need is access to a pipe-stretcher at the exhaust shop. There is enough clearance to allow some expansion, but it doesn't seem to leak at all.

A short section of SS flex section will also work, kind of pricey and hard to find though.

Or, you could just run a screamer pipe. Not my idea of cool though.

Good luck

Doug

How about a slip joint?

Maybe a 2" piece on the downpipe and a 2" piece off the WG, with one side sliding inside the other. It may leak a bit when cold, but I doubt that would too big a problem, since I doubt you will boost it much when cold....

Maybe some of the smarter guys can chime in....seems logical though, no?

A single slip joint will work fine, but if you want no leakage, a double would be better. Especially if the joint is only going to be overlapped about an inch.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeCollectors/TurboCollectors/turbocollectors.html

Have a look at how Burns does their slipjoints. That is what I did for my downpipe and it works well. I have about an inch of overlap in the slipjoint.

The double pipe should be the inlet side, IE for your case, the outlet pipe from the WG.

Doug

• 1 year later...