HybridZ

Spring plate orientation in LSD

Guest fingaz9

Guest fingaz9

I am replacing the clutches in my R180 LSD and I am questioning what the correct orientation is for the spring plate and disk? If I put the cluck pack back together the same way as I disassembled it, (Concave outward) the spring plates fingers are away from the diff housing so it is very difficult to make sure they are lined up correctly. If I would flip the disk and plate, the fingers are in the housing and bolting the cover on is a no-brainer. Is there a trick or does the disk/plate orientation not really matter?

Looks like there are several choices, which one is correct?

A. Pressure ring ... << (puts spring plate fingers outside of housing grooves)

B. Pressure ring ... >>

C. Pressure ring ... <> or ><

Bret

'72 ITS 240Z

'73 240Z

I was talking to Gordon Glasgow about this when I did mine, and he said the tips of the fingers should point towars the center of the diff. He said that he's seen the tips of the plates break off when pointed out.

So you should have springs clutches and gears aligned as so: <||||gear gear||||>

Guest fingaz9
He said that he's seen the tips of the plates break off when pointed out.

Thanks for the info.

I figured that tips in might be better for assembly. I imagine that the broken fingers come from misalignment when clamping the housing together. I noticed one of mine was cracked and there is a small dent in the case. Interestingly enough, after I posted, I looked at a FSM for an 88 300ZX with a R200 LSD (found at carfiche.com) and it specifically shows that the fingers pointing towards the outside.