HybridZ

more header questions

Guest WHITEBOY

Guest johnny calvert

i see that a lot of people have helped you,?do you have a mid mount plate, and would the headers that they are tell you to get, will this enterfear

Guest WHITEBOY
Forgot to mention further... You can get those headers direct from S&S for $379 PLUS shipping...

Cheers...

Mike

I would like to thank you for going through that with me. My dad bought his Z complete' date=' and running 9.10/149 from Mark Eggers from Florida. It's orange, you might have seen it in the pump gas drags article in Hot Rod mag. His car still has the factory frame and suspension from the firewall forward. Anyway, his car has custom built federwell headers. They are stepped from 1 7/8 to 2 inch with 3 1/2 inch collectors. The car sits low, and he still has a good 3 inches of ground clearance. They are beautiful, and the car is very easy to work on. No spark plug, starter or oil filter issues. It sounds like the best bet for my street car, is to build a set like his, but with 1 3/4 tubes and 3" collectors. The problem is I have so much invested in my chassis car, that this one will have to be a low budget deal. Custom headers are high dollar.

I hate to use them, but shorty headers may be my only inexpesive option.

i see that a lot of people have helped you,?do you have a mid mount plate, and would the headers that they are tell you to get, will this enterfear

No, my street car has no mid-plate. My Dad's does though. His fenderwell headers solve all those problems.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Its Where You Cut Holes In The Fender Well And Run Your Exhaust Tubes Through Them And Down Under The Car..... Its Supposed To Cure The Cramped Enginebay, But In The Datsuns Situation It Won't Work Very Well If Your Using Normal Street Tires And Enjoy Turning More Than A Few Degrees. If You Get Under The Datsun And Turn The Wheel Lock To Lock You'll Notice The Steer Arc Is Rather Large And You Would Have A Hard Time Fitting Exhaust Tubes In There And Using A 205+ Tire (without Pushing The Wheel Out Of The Fenderwell).

Guest WHITEBOY

My Dad's car has frontrunners on it, and they will turn from lock to lock. I havn't really looked to see if bigger tires would fit, because it has never been a concern of mine. I will look though. I don't think there is any problem. You do realize they go through the fenderwell right in front of the firewall. These headers with oval exhaust allow for excelent ground clearance.

DO YOU HAVE ANY CLEARANCE ISSUES OR TUBE DENTING TO GET THOSE TO FIT? I HAVE THE RW27 AND YOU HAVE TO DENT ONE OF THE TUBES.

No clearance issues at the engine, but the collector is very close to the steering shaft. I could have ground the flange a bit, but I added a U joint to move the shaft far away.

Would cutting holes in the inside fender wells compromise structual integrity of the Z unibody? Due to the holes being very large and going through between the shock towers and firewall? I suppose its very possible with extra frame bracing. More weight for equal length headers and clearance trade off? How would one put the structure back in and where? On a road car with big front tires I would agree one might run into tight turning radius problems.

If you are going that route might as well go all the way and run the tubs and Dana 60 for strip use.