HybridZ

Stroker Kit Help

tfreer85

Okay, I'm looking to do a stroker engine, after reading how much horespower is enough, and considering I just got the car i don't want to do an insane amount of power into it without really knowing how to drive it. Now i've looked into the MSA stroker kit and it seems a bit pricey, however i like how it is a complete kit.. I've heard of doing the maxima crankshaft, but don't want to piece it together. I keep hearing Rebello stroker engines being tossed around and am curious if they make a complete kit ( ie. pistons, rods, crank, wrist pins, rings, etc.) or what it is that they do. I did a search on this and have found nothing, been looking through google and nobody out there seems to offer a complete or even partial kit. If anyone can help please let me know.

Tyson

As far as I know the kit sold by MSA is the only one available, and I think its actually a Nissan kit. The crank can be found on Ebay quite regularly for about $250 or so, The 9mm Rods show up less regularly but can be found with a bit of hunting. The pistons in the MSA kit are cast and if your going to make a stroker and are like everyone else you might as well go forged pistons. According to the MSA catalog you can now even order forged pistons through them and perhaps even get it bundled with the kit but your still talking major cash.

Those are the major pieces that you need, now you could buy the kit and pay $1800 plus, or spend the time reading everything you can find on the 3.0L stroker and use that time finding the crank and rods for perhaps about $350 or so. Just about anyone that has done a stroker could give you the info for the rings. there are several brands, Some people have had good luck with the Total seal gapless rings and others had major issues with them.

There was a group buy awhile back for ROSS 87mm forged pistons for a 3.0L stroker. I wish I had known about the group buy cause the pistons were only about $450 or so. Perhaps if enough people are interested another group buy could be started.

Ok, the MSA kit is pricey there's no doubt but one up side is that all parts are new unlike hunting down the parts yourself in which case the crank and rods will be used...not that this is bad or anything. The crank in the MSA kit is the Maxima desiel crank. Courtesy Nissan in DFW also sells a stroker kit...also pricey though. These are the only two sources of a kit I have ever seen.

Now about your question on Rebello...they are an engine builder in CA and are well know in the Z community for their strokers.

Here's Rebello's website: http://www.rebelloracing.com/

There is also a place in GA call Sunbelt Racing that is supposed to be good and they do the Z car strokers as well: http://www.sunbeltperformance.com/

Personally I have collected the crank and rods and will be sending the parts off to my local engine builder soon.