HybridZ

Some relief for you turbo swappers (maybe)

GrayZee

Guest livewire23

I've already done a turbo swap, but mine was just the manifold, turbo, injectors, etc..., not the entire engine. Still, if you ever decide to sell pre-manufactured MS systems, I'd like to know about it. This summer when me and my Z are re-united I'd like to get some better fuel management in place.

However, I'd like to have something customizable because Im having fuel problems that I need to track down. Also, I've got programming skills, and I'd like to take a shot at writing up my own fuel maps and such, and MS seems like a better base to me.

FYI don't get hung up on the semantics of what Nissan calls a "Head Temperature Sensor".

It is a glorified WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR, and has the EXACT same response curve. I have used the CHT and WTS interchangably in Megasquirt applications, as well as when retrofitting Earlier ECUS in earlier S30's with later engines.

The only difference is that the CHT is a little slower to respond initially, and once warmed to operating temperature reads a bit hotter than the WTS (but only on the line of 5 to 15 degrees F).

I would not make someone get a CHT and install it, in my experience using the stock Water Temperature Sensor for the original ECU pickup in the Thermostat housing works just as well, and the ECU never knows the difference.

Perhaps you could take my readings into account, and if a customer specifies he's using the Thermostat Mounted Sensor, you could skew the CHT tables 10 degrees F colder and therefore get the same curve as from the CHT.

Realistically, I dont' even think that will be necessary. What I have noticed is that at idle, the CHT normally reads in the 140-150 degree range with a 160 degree thermostat, so maybe warmup may need some redefining. it is not a problem with my setup, (MS-n-S) as all my warmup enrichments are out by 130 degrees F anyway.

Guest bastaad525
FYI don't get hung up on the semantics of what Nissan calls a "Head Temperature Sensor".

It is a glorified WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR' date=' and has the EXACT same response curve. I have used the CHT and WTS [i']interchangably[/i] in Megasquirt applications, as well as when retrofitting Earlier ECUS in earlier S30's with later engines.

The only difference is that the CHT is a little slower to respond initially, and once warmed to operating temperature reads a bit hotter than the WTS (but only on the line of 5 to 15 degrees F).

I would not make someone get a CHT and install it, in my experience using the stock Water Temperature Sensor for the original ECU pickup in the Thermostat housing works just as well, and the ECU never knows the difference.

Perhaps you could take my readings into account, and if a customer specifies he's using the Thermostat Mounted Sensor, you could skew the CHT tables 10 degrees F colder and therefore get the same curve as from the CHT.

Realistically, I dont' even think that will be necessary. What I have noticed is that at idle, the CHT normally reads in the 140-150 degree range with a 160 degree thermostat, so maybe warmup may need some redefining. it is not a problem with my setup, (MS-n-S) as all my warmup enrichments are out by 130 degrees F anyway.

I've always thought this was the case as I have used both sensors interchangeably on stock EFI as well and never noticed a difference from one to the other. Thanks for the clarification...