HybridZ

Chrome Tail Trim

cygnusx1

Has anyone been able to find a source for re-chroming the plastic tail light trim on the early body Z's?

I am guessing that it was originally vacuum metalized. The chrome on mine is almost gone thanks to years of corrosive exhaust fumes.

Has anyone been able to find a source for re-chroming the plastic tail light trim on the early body Z's?

I am guessing that it was originally vacuum metalized. The chrome on mine is almost gone thanks to years of corrosive exhaust fumes.

This is a email responce I received back from a guy about re plating mine. I'm not sure if he's still around' date=' but worth a email if you want to see...

EDIT: forgot to add that his price was $60 at that time

The process is simple and the cost is the same although we have a 15.00 S/H charge. that's about it except to say that the turn around time is about 4 weeks at this point.

Chuck Vanderbyl

C.V. Vacuum Platers Inc.

When responding to this e-mail please use the reply to sender feature so your reply

will include the original message. Thank you.

PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS cvplaters@telus.net

Visit our websites at: www.cvvacuumplaters.com

www.specialtychromedplastics.com or www.ptcruisergrill.com

Thanks for the links. BTW Vacuum metalliziing examples can be seen inside a burnt out light bulb sometimes. Have you ever seen a burnt out bulb that looked chrome inside. Under vacuum, a peice of metal is vaporized, the metal vapor condenses on nearby surfaces to form a metallic layer. In the case of the light bulb, the filament was vaporized and condensed on the inside of the bulb to make it look chrome....

Just a tidbit of info to chew on.