HybridZ

turn up the boost

Guys,

Expecting delivery of a 82 ZX turbo motor very soon to drop into my 78 280Z.

After I get the motor up and running correctly in stock (ZXT) configuration, I will want to start playing with the boost to get more power. I am new to turbo power so I have a lot of learning to do.

So what do I need to buy/modify to increase the stock ZXT boost of 6 to 7 PSI to something like 8 to 10 PSI. Which boost controllers work well with the Z's. I don't think I need anything real fancy , like driver adjustable boost on the fly, to start with. Hoping for your collective wisdom to help me get started right.

thanks

Wayne

All you need is a grainger type boost controller to raise the stock boost. Take it to 9-10 psi without doing anything else to the car and it'll run good. Search around for info about the grainger valve. It is home made and costs under $10. Good luck with the swap and you are on the right track. Keep it stock until it runs good.

you will also want to replace OE popoff valve with a plug or use a different intake manifold, just be sure to turn up the boost slowly, I am using the Turbo XS unit from summit about $80 mounts under the hood but no better than the drainger or home made units