HybridZ

z31 diff into 280zx

Guest Timd

Evening all

So, ive decided on the z31 r200 CLSD conversion into my 1982 280zx 2+2, which has an r180 with CVs

I would like to know exactly what parts are needed for this conversion. Anything that needs to be changed or modified i am interested in hearing about.

ps, ive searched, cant find any relevant info for conversions into 280zx.

thanks for your time, Tim

Thanks for doing a search, Tim.

My advice would be to email several of the ZX owners on this site. I would think one or more have either done this or know what is involved. It's probably pretty simple.

Also, Ross Corrigan, who makes the spacers, etc, for CV conversions can be contacted at http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php

He has/had a V8 280ZX that may or may not have had a CV conversion---email him from the site.

Davy

Hi Tim,

I replaced the r200 with cv's from my 83 280zx turbo with a 1987 Z31 LSD. It was quite simple. All I had to do is swap the driveshaft flange (may need an imapact gun to do so for the freestanding R200 unit (loosen the one on your r180 before removing the cv's so you can prevent the driveshaaft flange from spinning under torque (using the hand brakes).

Every thing else is bolt in (you also have to swap the differential mounts and use the original 280zx one, same bolt pattern for the mounts). The cv's are fully interchangeable (you may want to replace the seals with new ones while you have the unit out. Hope this helps. Have fun (it makes a huge difference).

Thanks for your reply mate

Do you know if its possible to use non turbo driveshafts with the z31 diff. Are they interchangable as well? we didnt get the 280zxt here in australia and im not too keen on importing from the US if i can avoid it.

cheers, Tim