HybridZ

RB25 Questions for Stoney

tonycharger72

Sorry to bother you mate, but i just wanted some clarification - im looking at putting an RB25DET or RB25DE into my Zed and just wanted to pick your brain a bit:-D

Just wanna be certain about getting the engine/box/tailshaft in place,

I live in Australia and have a right-hand Drive 260z, but you said that it dosent matter for LH or RH, its the same pretty much

Engine Mounts & Sump Position:

Get engine mounts from Jap Spec Z31 which ran the RB20DET,

BUT..........the Z31 mounts are not in the best location for the RB25 in a 70-78 Zed, which means for optimal handling you should custom up some mounts to sit the engine back and lower?

Dont suppose you have any pics of your engine mounts?

Get sump & pickup from Jap Spec Z31 RB20DET and swap this over onto my RB25 (which is a straight swap, no mods needed) therefore the engine sump is rear mounted and dosent hit the crossmember?

Gearbox Crossmember:

Use the Box from the GTS-T R33 Skyline, but you have to make up your own gearbox-crossmember,

Because.............the original L-Series wont mate with the new GTS-T gearbox and the new GTS-T gearbox crossmember wont bolt straight up to the old gearbox body mounts on the Zed,

So gotta do some fabrication to get em to fit?

Do you have any pics of this?

Tailshaft:

If you use the Z31 mounts you can use the original tailshaft, no mods required, is this correct?

But if you use custom mounts and sit the engine lower and closer to the firewall you will need to shorten the tailshaft?

I know it must suck after a while answering all these questions, but i just wanted to make certain mate

Guest JAMIE T

If you mean drive shaft, refering to what you called the tail shaft. That will need to be shortened if the engine is install further back than Stony's set-up was.

Sorry to bother you mate, but i just wanted some clarification - im looking at putting an RB25DET or RB25DE into my Zed and just wanted to pick your brain a bit

Just wanna be certain about getting the engine/box/tailshaft in place,

I live in Australia and have a right-hand Drive 260z, but you said that it doesn’t matter for LH or RH, its the same pretty much

Engine Mounts & Sump Position:

Get engine mounts from Jap Spec Z31 which ran the RB20DET,

BUT..........the Z31 mounts are not in the best location for the RB25 in a 70-78 Zed, which means for optimal handling you should custom up some mounts to sit the engine back and lower?If you ask me i think a 51 49 front to rear weight distribution can be compensated with suspension setup and that’s where mine was with the Z31 mounts.

Dont suppose you have any pics of your engine mounts?

Not at this time

Get sump & pickup from Jap Spec Z31 RB20DET and swap this over onto my RB25 (which is a straight swap, no mods needed) therefore the engine sump is rear mounted and dosent hit the crossmember? Yes this is a straight up bolt on mod. The sump and pan will not interfere with the frame. I had an rb25 sitting in my car until i found out it was bad. the rb26 needs some messaging of the oil pan and custom sum for it to work with the z31 pan. it has 2 bolt patterns in the bottom of the block to accommodate the gtr pan and the rb25 steel pan.

Gearbox Crossmember:

Use the Box from the GTS-T R33 Skyline, but you have to make up your own gearbox-crossmember, Yes this is actually really easy.

Because.............the original L-Series wont mate with the new GTS-T gearbox and the new GTS-T gearbox crossmember won’t bolt straight up to the old gearbox body mounts on the Zed,

So gotta do some fabrication to get em to fit? Yes i cut out the car part of teh tranny mounts and fabbed up some ears and welded it back in the same spot and sued the stock r33 tranny mounts

Do you have any pics of this? NO

Tailshaft:

If you use the Z31 mounts you can use the original tailshaft, no mods required, is this correct? Yes with an r-200 diff. you will need to swap out the part the driveshaft bolts up it on the diff to the one that comes with the r-200 diff in the r33 skyline. it wont bolt up to the flange on the z r-200.

But if you use custom mounts and sit the engine lower and closer to the firewall you will need to shorten the tailshaft? Yes

I know it must suck after a while answering all these questions, but i just wanted to make certain mate No problem its all getting kind fuzzy it was almost 4 years