HybridZ

Odd headlight find.

zero

A little while ago I bought an 83 280zxt to pull the engine out of for my 240z. I havent had chance to go up to where the car is stored and pull the engine yet, but I did take the headlights out when I first picked it up because they were h4's and had to be better than the sealed beams I had. A few months later I finally got around to installing them and I discovered that they not only are very bright, but they have an odd greenish/orange tinge to them. I personally have never seen them before, but considering all the lights )dash radio, and amp) in my car are green, I am kinda pleased. Does anyone know what kind of lights these are and know if they are legal for street use. Thanks Here's a picture, It's kind of hard to capture the green/orange on a camera, but it came out pretty well in this picture. 8311100_05973.JPG

Sounds like the same type of bulbs alot of the ricers were using before HID light conversion kits were available. Probably not street legal in most places. The biggest thing to watch out for is how hot your switch will get with these bulbs if they are high output.

Another thing is that they will attract cops very easily at night. While the light may look a warm green tint from up close, when seem coming from far away and at different angles, those headlights can actually look a very deep green or yellow from far away. Almost to the same effect of a green or yellow traffic light. Check it out in a parking lot at night, you'll see what I mean when seeing the lights oncoming from a distance.

You can now get "super white" type bulbs to go in the H4 housings that are supposed to be more like HID light. They will provide a brighter light than the tinted ones and they usually won't get you pulled over....

my 2 cents....