HybridZ

Lt1 & Ls1-t56 Marriage With Qm Clutch

240Z-DET

I have a 1994 LT1 engine with a 1999 LS1 based T56 transmission using a 7.25" Quarter Master twin disc clutch. Because the engine is a post '87 engine, I couldn't use the Quarter Master billet flywheel. QM suggested that I use their SFI rated flexplate and attach the clutch to it with ARP bolts. A 3/8" aluminum adapter plate was made to mate the LT1 block to the LS1 style bellhousing and transmission. This is another solution to the Weir Bellhousing. I also will be using the QM TO bearing assembly that will mate to the T56. The QM's twin discs are organic and are rated to hold over 550lb of torque. I'll post pix of the QM TO bearing before final assembly.

The weight savings over the stock T56 clutch, disc and flywheel is over 26 lbs. It may hurt low end torque a bit, but the acceleration should be insane.

8160240Z_LT1_QUARTER_MASTER_CLUTCH-med.jpg

WooHoo!!! That gives me circle track flashbacks. That bad boy will rev like a banshee, but the clutch will be "quick" and you will have to be very precise matching revs to shift smoothly. How much street use do you plan?

John

Quite a bit. I drove a car that had the same set up in it and he had the full faced organic discs and it was pretty easy to get moving. I have also driven a metal disc QM clutch and it was an absolute b*tch to drive. The beauty of my set up it is that it will be a very light clutch pedal. It should be finished tonight, the clutch set up that is. I still have to locate a LSD R200 and shorten the aluminum driveshaft.

I only have experience with the metal ones, they're almost like a switch. The organics are supposed to be smoother, let us know how it works out. How much does the clutch and flexplate weigh? That spacer is a nice job. Is the input shaft on the trans long enough to work OK? How are you going to operate the clutch? Do you have to space the TO brg out?

John

The entire clutch and flexplate weigh 25lbs. The factory T56 flywheel, clutch and disc is over 50lbs. The spacer was made to add clearance for the longer input shaft. I have a Quarter Master hydraulic throw out bearing that will have an machined aluminum spacer.

The organic discs are VERY smooth. So much in fact that when I compared the metallic ones to the organic, its like driving a BMW M5 (as far as pedal pressure).... moderately light.

I can't wait until she's done.

WOO HOO. My 50th post. It's only taken four years to get here. Can you say LURKER?

The LT1 and T56 are now joined happily ever after (knock on wood). The aluminum spacer turned out great for the TO bearing. I have the bleeder line and the clutch line all ready to go. The engine is set in the Z so the next step is to make the trans crossmember. I'll post pix of everything later on tonight.