HybridZ

rb26 ported head pics

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Yeah Pete, I know...

I don't hurt to ask ;)

Joel, I hope you understand how badass your car is going to be! You don't want a Z28 do ya? :icon10:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

I haven't gotten my head back from the head guy yet but I am wondering what ARE good flow numbers for a '26 head? Matt, Stony, anyone? What does JUN and Blitz and HKS do to the heads? Anyone seen any pics? Care to share? My head guy has a theory that he would like to use on my head that would kill two birds with one stone. He says recessing the valve alittle in the seat can make a cone effect for the air and that it is desirable. That is the opposite of what everything I've ever "heard". But, what it will do is if we recess the valve about as much as I would otherwise have to shim the buckets, then I wouldn't have to shim much or at all... I just don't want to ruin this head with a valve job theory I'm not familiar with. I might just go for traditional hiperf valve job on this one and try the other way on the next one. The next head will include welding and raising the ports. I want to be able to look into the ports and SEE the tops of the valves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

I'm going by the head flow guys shop today. Initial flow numbers are very promising. It picked up about 50cfm on the exhaust! The intake has a margainal improvement of 8 cfm. That is due to the fact that not much was actually done to the intake. Only a slight clean-up. That is ALL before the a valve job is done! He assures me the valve job will make a noticable improvement as well. The intake is 234 right now. I'm looking for over 250 cfm on the intake, so some more work is to be done there. The valve job will likely pull that into the range I'm looking for. The exhaust is 200 right now before the valve job. That's dang good! We'll see what happens after the valve job.

Today, we're going to measure my cams for base circle to see how much we can drop the seat.

Guest JAMIE T

Corrections, the exhaust flows 203 at .500" and the intake flows 238 at .500". I don't recall the other numbers, but I'll post them next weekend when I get the head back. He is doing the valve job and decking the head alittle to clean it up. We won't be dropping the seat afterall. The Blitz cams have the same base circle as stock. That's no problem.

It was funny, while we were discussing theory and this particular head, he was measuring the throat just under the valve(actually the ID of the valve seat). He looked up with an evilish grin and said that he'd just found me "A bunch" of horse power! He said with the right valve job the head could not only pick up a lot of low lift flow, but also reach over 250cfm on the intake on the high end. He said the throat was too small for the diam. of the valve. He's gona fix that with his valve job. I'll post all findings next weekend. I'll also bring the head up to Mike Kelly's Spring Z bash.

• 9 months later...

Endyne has said my head is finished, but I have yet to see the actual flow sheets. However, upon a visit I did get to see several port configuration tested on my spare head. Final flow numbers on the intake ports are said to be 311cfm, which is about 5cfm greater than the full race 2JZ head, but ~80cfm less than the Honda 4banger heads developed in their shop. Head specs as follows:

HKS 280 10.25 cams

Fidanza cam gears

Ferrea springs/retainers/seat locators

1mm oversized inconel exhaust valves

1mm oversized SS intake valves

Endyne Port Job

Endyne combustion chamber mods

I will post official flow sheets and pics when they are received.

Guest JAMIE T

Those are great numbers James! I have lost my flow sheets...

I visited Endynes website the other day looking at some of the Honda work they'd done (My brothers building a sleeved Turbo/B20/VTEC for his Integra). They do great work. I have the Fidenza cam gears also, inexpensive and they'll do the job.

• 2 years later...
Head modifications are well documented. What Jamie has done is right in line with the Nismo GT500 circuit race engines. This info is even published.

does anyone have access to, or can show me where to get the documentation and or publications with the quoted info?