HybridZ

fuel injector replacement - need help

Lewis Maudlin

I am new to the world of fuel injection. My last Z was a 355sbc. I now have a 1978 280Z which is pretty much stock. I took the airbox off, but that is about it. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and still have an annoying sputter.

I have decided to replace the fuel injectors. The hoses connected to the fuel injectors are rotten and need replaced too. Is there anything else I should do while replacing the injectors? Should I get the same injectors? If I get bigger injectors will it change my performance without changing other things? Will bigger injectors change my gas mileage a lot, I drive 70 miles a day? Need help. I am willing to spend a little money, but don't want to spend too much money since I will go turbo in a year or so. Thanks. Lewis.

Without coming off too sarcasticly....if you can't answer your own questions about your current injectors, how in the world will you deal with installing a turbo setup? You may want to consider taking your Z to a quailfied mechanic for a complete tuneup. Your a lawyer...you can afford it! Or, as one does when preparing a legal matter.....research, research, and more research.

yes that was pretty sarcastic. I don't think that type of behavior is or has ever been tolerated here. If you want to go explain how much smarter you are than the next guy, please go to the Nascar forum or the Corvette forum. This forum has always been about Z cars and helping people with Z cars.

There is a possibility that the injectors are fine and the wires (connectors) to the injectors are old and not sending the proper signal. It was pretty inexpensive to replace those connectors and fairly easy too. If the rubber boots are all cracked then I bet you have corrosion at the contacts. Good luck.

yes that was pretty sarcastic. I don't think that type of behavior is or has ever been tolerated here. If you want to go explain how much smarter you are than the next guy, please go to the Nascar forum or the Corvette forum. This forum has always been about Z cars and helping people with Z cars.

Sorry if my post offended you. Just figured if you were perplexed with your situation, you might be better off visiting a mechanic. And regarding your comment about someone being smarter than the next guy.....funny, but I never said anyone was smart, dumb, or otherwise. Don't be so touchy...you'll live longer!

Without coming off too sarcasticly....if you can't answer your own questions about your current injectors, how in the world will you deal with installing a turbo setup? You may want to consider taking your Z to a quailfied mechanic for a complete tuneup. Your a lawyer...you can afford it! Or, as one does when preparing a legal matter.....research, research, and more research.

I think 2126 made a very good point. Not everytime anybody get's their questions answered. Sometimes anybody can benefit from a tiny lecture..that's what this forum is all about -listen, hear and learn.