HybridZ

High volume oil pump question

I have a deep sump pan with trap doors and a new pickup. The oil pan company (Kevko) suggested that I should run a high volume oil pump so I bought a Melling M-55HV. The engine is an 89 350 TPI that is stock at this time but will see some mild engine modifications someday. I use my car (79 ZX) on the street but I'd like to go autocrossing. Since I bought the pump, I have heard comments on the Third Generation F-Body site that range from 'You'll blow the engine with a high volume pump!' to the other extreme 'You gotta use a high volume pump or you'll starve the engine of oil!.' Hmmmm. So I called Melling and asked the tech rep. He laughed and said that they've been building that pump for years and he hasn't heard of any engine problems. Of course I tend to believe the rep but I wonder what the experts on the forum think (perhaps I'm not totally convinced yet :-)).

Thanks

John

Convinced of what?

The HV pump isn't a must, the stock pump with a high pressure spring works for most applications where bearing clearances are tight, which is the low side of tolerance. If looser race clearances are used in the crank then the HV is a must have IMHO They make a M77HVS as well, which is a big block pump for a small block chevy. For every .001 additional bearing clearance you roughly double the volume of oil passed through the bearing clearance at a given pressure. I've never heard of a HV pump or any pump causing an engine to blow, unless it wasn't turning.