HybridZ

External Wastegate

I was told that the wastegate being as close as possible to the turbo inlet will allow for all cylinders to vent instead of venting one or two with it being placed anywhere on the manifold, Is this true at all? Does anyone have any pictures of their external wastegate setup? How did you set it all up as far as drilling in the manifold etc? Is there any advantage of dumping the external wastegate back into the downpipe or venting it to the ground (Atmosphere?) Any help appreciated!

I have done it both ways on the stock manifold. The first one came off the #6 runner. I moved the engine back 2" so I had to relocated it to the center of the manifold. I didn't notice a difference between the two. You won't gain anything by venting to atmosphere except obnoxious noise when it opens.

Guest Chris240turbo

"except obnoxious noise when it opens"

thats a fact! I've been driving mine this way for the last couple weeks, and it's loud, but sounds OK, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. I had an innovative turbo progate adapter welded to the stock manifold, and run a 42mm racegate, with a 60-1 T4, I have a picture around here somewhere, I'll look for it...

I lost all of my pics but those few. It comes out just in front of the turbo flange. To do again I would just mount the WG under it like I did on the orange Z instead of routing it back up to the top. It used to come of of #6. after moving it back I went with the way it is now as there wasn't enough room.