HybridZ

Starter for my 383

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like the best to use is #7. For some reason I was thinking that the aftermarket starters were ~4HP. That is incorrect. Instead, the gear reduction is ~4:1. Seems that the 93-97 Camaro starter should be good.

Thanks,

Joshua

Okay, I searched and read. I also referred to the JTR manual. I still feel ill equipped to make the decision on which starter to use.

I have a 153 Tooth flywheel, so #3 is out. This leaves either #7 or an aftermarket one. It looks like the biggest difference is that #7 is inline gear reduction (probably planetary), where as most aftermarket ones are offset. Aftermarket ones seems to have more cranking power though, some claim 4+ Hp. They are also indexable. I am not sure if this is helpful though when using a Canton Pan. #7 is just over 2 Hp.

My engine is a 383, 10:1.

1. Is #7 going to struggle?

2. Is the unsupported end of the aftermarket ones (Tilton for instance) a big deal?

3. I was thinking that the offset of an aftermarket starter might help with head ground clearance by rotating the starter to be as high as possible. Can someone verfiy if this is reasonable?

I realize that #7 is cheaper, but since I don't have a core, it is not cheaper by much.

Thanks for any and all help. Sorry if this seems like I am asking for info that has already been answered (if it please, please point me in the right direction, I didn't see anything about this though).

Joshua

Guest 77vegasz

10:1 is not high enough to strain a stoick starter. Mitsubishi sells a good racing style lite weight starter for about 115.00. It saves weight, is small, and cranks my 11.75:1 389 over with no problems.

Jon