HybridZ

GM 80`s-pres. ball joints

660Z

ive noticed mainly 80 thru pres. GM cars and s-10 trucks have balljoint problems and yesterday my 94 s-10`s drivers side LOWER balljoint let loose(instant lowrider) eek2.gif luckly it was in front of my house!!! hail.gif ...i`ve owned my 68 nova for 15 yrs. and never replaced the lower balljoints,in fact i would go so far as to say they`er original.

(always had them checked)

i`ve never seen a 60`s-70`s car with a broken balljoint i know they happen but it`s not a common problem with them.why are the 80`s-up SO inferior to it`s 60`s-70`s counterpart?...is risking lives on an item as important as a balljoint worth saving a few pennies?

i admit i ignored the signs....at 30,000 it started poping and i couldn`t find the problem i had everything checked including the balljoints everything was fine even stopped driving it for a while.turned out to be a bad drivers side shock.now at 85,000 same noise same reactions with the truck everything..."oh it must be a bad shock again i`ll keep driving" bonk.giftwak.gif

so anyone driving a GM car or s-10 truck with upper and lower balljoints check them often...i do a lot of highyway driving and i go about 80mph on there and i shutter to think what would had happend if it went at that speed. eek2.gif

The S-10 was designed as a lightweight shortbed 2 wheel drive replacement for the Luv. It kept growing and growing and adding weight. They just exceeded the design parameters of the platform IMO. I've never seen anything that eats brake pads like my buddies Typhoon. Too damn heavy.

awww man!!!! i never thought about it replacing the luv that means it also replaced the isuzu pup!...now im bummed frown.gif

acually it`s been a really good truck.it`s a SS model so it has the better suspension,not sure about balljoints but larger swaybar,stiffer shocks and springs.other than the rear brakes always needing adjusting they seem to be wearing normal.

my cousin who owns a towing company told me broken balljoints are a comon problem he`s always towing them.i just think GM has gotten cheap with the parts that matter most when driving....mark