HybridZ

How to massage the trans tunnel

240Z-DET

This was posted three years ago by Jeromio, but it is still so true. I am still tired from beating that danged tunnel. It was more intense than:

any work out I've done

any marathon I've ran

any sexcapade

every time I ran from the cops

I'm actually sore. I said every swear word in the English and Ebonic dictionary ever created and I meant it.

Read on.

"Here's how you do it.

Get the old Datsun stuff outta the car. Put it up on jacks.

Go get a BFH.

Go drink a beer. Maybe 5.

Lay down under the tranny tunnel.

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath.

Think of all the bad things that have ever happened to you. All the mean things people have ever said about you. All the times you broke a bolt head off or cracked a manifold or lost a job or got kicked in the nuts or got dumped by a girl.

Absorb it all.

Now, realize that all of that, all the pain and hardship - it was all that tranny tunnel's fault!!

Go at it! Beat the %$&^#!*# out of that thing!

But that's not even really enough. You'll need three or ten such sessions.

It can be therapeutic."

Did you have to beat a bunch of the tunnel? The only place I clearanced was around my big blowproof bellhousing, in two small spots. I put the engine in as far back as possible, marked where it was hitting, pulled the engine forward as far as possible in the engine bay (engine and tranny connected hanging from the engine hoist), used a 2# short handled sledge, and made the modifications from the top of the car leaning over the fender. The total process, by MYSELF without help, took about 1 - 1.5 hours to get the engine in place. Maybe you had to make more clearance than I though...

I do think that the smaller, lighter sledge was perfect. Sure it takes more hits, but I was able to make the modifications smooth and not look like I beat the crap out of it.

Just my experience... (I thought it was actually too easy)

Joshua

The main issue I had was that because of the 3/8" spacer plate between the engine and the T56 transmission with the engine mounted forward; I had to beat the hell out of the tunnel to make room for the bellhousing. I also had to make sure that the reverse lockout module had room as well as the passenger side. I had no issues on the drivers side though. I had to beat it in three spots.

Oh, I see. I guess that the T56 is probably larger as well. I am using the Lakewood bellhousing (I cut the manual clutch linkage bracket off though) with a TKO600. Maybe the TKO is just smaller? At least it doesn't have the reverse lockout widget.

I also did not have to reomve or touch the stock tranny mounts that are attached to the tunnel walls. Even though the TKO is heavier than the T5's, it doesn't seem like it is much bigger if at all.

Joshua

240z-DET

you said "forward position" do you mean Scarab? I am doing the same swap (T-56) and am not looking forward to "banging" the hell out of my car. I thought maybe I going do some banging in my car but not before it was finished. :)

Also did you lower the cross member per the "JTR" suggestion? I have a feeling you didn't.

No it's the JTR position. The motor mounts had to be slotted so I could push the drivetrain at the forwardmost position.

8160240Z_LT1_Installed-med.jpg

I guess it would depend on what T56 transmission you're using. I'm not sure about clearance issues with the LT1 T56, but the LS1 T56 (for me at least) required some banging on the tunnel. You might be alright.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 73LT1Z
No it's the JTR position. The motor mounts had to be slotted so I could push the drivetrain at the forwardmost position.

I guess it would depend on what T56 transmission you're using. I'm not sure about clearance issues with the LT1 T56' date=' but the LS1 T56 (for me at least) required some banging on the tunnel. You might be alright.[/quote']

Looks like an LT1 going into the car in the pic... from what I've read on the F-Body site, the LS1 T56 & the LT1 T56 do not interchange (can't recall exactly why). Do you think this could be a source of your problems?

Actually, the problem was already solved. Take a close look at the aluminum spacer with new steel dowel pins.

8160240Z_LT1_QUARTER_MASTER_CLUTCH.jpg

The other part of the equation was the longer spacer for the TO bearing.

8160240Z_Quarter_Master_TO_Bearing.jpg

Everything is solved, it was just that I had to beat the hell out of the trans tunnel more than the typical swap. The LT1 and LS1 T56's don't interchange because the LS1 unit has a longer shaft. That's why the spacer was made.