HybridZ

flooding fuel injection?

garyhooper

Hi,

So I have a 76 280z w/ stock l6 motor and stock fuel injection. The problem that I am having is that when I start the car it will run for maybe 5 seconds before it dies. After it dies it will smell like gas around it. I can usually get it started twice or so before I have to let it sit for a minute or it will crank and crank and not kick over. So I'm having a flooding problem I'm guessing.

I've checked fuel pressure between filter and fuel rail. I get 36psi when it's still and for the few seconds that it runs it's at about 28-29psi. The pressure holds fine and is still 36psi after an hour.

I bypassed the ignition, but that made no difference. And the fuel pressure regulator isn't leaking gas through the vacuum line.

So I'm thinking that it's either a cold start valve that's flooding me out, or the afm isn't working correctly ( or I have a bad injector???).

What do you guys think and how do I test these things before going to the parts store with a bunch of money on parts that I may not need?

Thanks,

Gary

Welcome Harry Gooper, sorry it was too funny. Try to disconnect the cold start valve and see what happens. If the fuel pressure is not bleeding down it is doubtful you have a leaking injector. Also try cleaning all your electrical connectors on the sensors and the computer. Use some electrical connector cleaner in the spray can.

The gas is pretty old and the plugs are fairly new. So I tried pulling the plug on the cold start valve while it was running, but it still shut off.

Would old gas cause this problem? Or dirty plugs? The fuel filter is fairly new if I remember correctly and the fuel pressure coming out of it is right on the money.