HybridZ

LS1 Plastic Fuel Tank Operational Experiences Sought

mjm

I am considering installing plastic tank/fuel module and need to hear from those that have daily driving experience with this setup. In doing a search, it sounded like there was at least 4 out there that have done this conversion, but it appeared that some were in the middle of extensive restoration/modifications and may not be driving the cars for some time. Specifically interested in ability to fill properly, fuel leaks, tips on venting, fuel lines, connecting filler neck - basically how happy those of you that are pounding pavement are with the conversion. I designed a surge tank from a fuel filter cannister and not achieving the results I was looking for - will redesign or convert to plastic tank/pump module with your valued input.

Routing the filler was tricky for me. I used an early maxima filler and a radiator hose. It works, but I am concerned about the rubber holding up long term.

The basket I got with my tank was damaged. That caused headaches. Also, the gasket was scrogged and I couldn't find another one. So I had to make one.

The GM lines are available at most autoparts stores. Fuel filters too.

The main mod was the level sender. I removed the resistor and replaced it with a 100ohm resistor from radioshack. Details are on my website.

Overall, I think it works well.

Thanks, have a 2000 year tank assembly with all the fixins being delivered this morning and look forward to plumbing it in and seeing how the car will perform with proper fuel supply
I'm seriously considering doing the same update to my Z. Although others have posted information about their conversions, please post your installation details and results as well.