HybridZ

Q45 at the junk yard... Can't get the spindle nut off!

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Well, I spent the last few hours struggling with this freakin' "Q" and brought home NOTHING!

I'm going back tomorrow to try again. I'm taking a friend to try and hold the axle from turning while either of us uses a breaker bar to get the nut loose. Probably jam something in the wheel studs on the opposite sides. I set the E-brake and I was still turning the whole assembly. And, the E-brake was WORKING! Come on guys, any pointers?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Put a long rod or pole, like a piece of rebar, in the studs on the hub to keep it from turning. Wedge it between the studs and the ground, then use a 24" breaker bar (cheap at Auto Zone) and stand on it and bounce.

Another option is to take an electric impact gun, an AC inverter, and a car battery. Hard wire the inverter to the battery and use the impact gun.

breakerbar.jpg

If you have a hydraulic jack with a large handle, take the handle off and slip it on your breaker bar. A 4' wrench works wonders. Use an impact socket though... standard sockets like to split using this technique... wonder how I know:)

Guest JAMIE T

What size is the nut? I hammered a 1-3/8" 3/4" drive socket on to the first one. It was close and it was the biggest one I had. But, since I could not get the nut removed, guess what? My socket is still on it at the junk yard! Hope it's there in the morning!

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I think it's 36mm, but don't hold me to it. You can rent spindle nut sockets from Auto Zone for a fully-refundable $15 fee, so have them pull a CV axle for a Q45 off the shelf, and try a few sockets on the nut that's included in the box. Then rent the socket and buy a 24" breaker bar for $15-$20. Make sure the socket and breaker are both 1/2" drive or 3/4" drive, though... AZ carries both.

Guest JAMIE T

I got it off today. The nuts were 36mm. We used a pair of vise grips on the rotor to keep it from turning. Then used a 30" Snap-On breaker bar. They came right off. We ended up dropping the whole carrier also. That made working on it easier. BTW, anyone need the Diff from it? I have a ZXTT diff so I don't need it. The axles could be available too.