HybridZ

A/T shifter mounting?

Sorry for what may seem like an uber-n00b question...but...

Even after searching through the forums I haven't really been able to find an answer...

The stock shifter hole obviously needs to be covered up and some kind of plate made for mounting an an auto shifter...I have a B&M Z-Gate (I don't really like that it sits so tall, but, I'm stuck with it for now) and am not sure as the best way to mount it.

I purchased a 6" x 22" plate (22 guage). I think I can cut it into a couple of pieces and rivet it over the stock shifter hole and then mount the shifter to it. Does this sound like the best way to do it?

Other than a few odds/ends the car is almost done. I let it run for a few minutes (still through open headers until the car can move under it's own power) and whoever told me the paint would bubble off the headers was absolutely correct!!!

The engine sounds incredibly mean and I can't wait to drive this sucker!!

Guest tony78_280z

I dunno about your set up, but I know the search doesn't cover this very well, so I'm adding to this thread what I did.

I got a junk yard shifter from some 80s comaro. I got the lever, bracket, wiring, and it's plastic housing. I mig welded the bracket to the underside of the floorboard/tranny tunnel to bring the shifter low enough.

Then I contructed a lever arm. Describing the construction of this would be impossible without first creating a diagram. (A project for tomarrow, after I install the B&M shift kit.)

Finally I took my center console and fiberglassed the new shifter levers plastic housing into it. This is where I left off today. It is not completely finished, but good enough for now.

My shifter lever is about 4 inches higher than the center console and looks pretty good. *pats self on back*

Note: That I was going from a Manual to an Automatic. I think If I had an original Z automatic shifter lever this would have been alot easiser.

Guest zerpie1

The way I did it is I made a "tray" that is about 4x10 inches and 1 inch deep in the front and 1 3/4 inches deep in the rear. I bolted this to the under side of the transmission tunnel and bolted the B&M shifter to the tray. This brought the shifter down flush with the center console. You will have to do some trimming of the console hole and tunnel hole to make it fit. Last, I used the B&M plastic shifter housing and trimmed it down to about 1/2 inch. I have a different shifter than you so the measurements may be different.

Guest tony78_280z

I did it with the tranny in minus the drive shaft. It was a bit tight and had to cut off some of the metal from the bracket but with a little forcing it went up in there.

Alright....well...

I decided to just cut up the plates, screwed them to the tranny tunnel, and then screwed the shifter to the plates. It'll do for now.

Car moves under it's own power now :)

All that's left is to wire the fan, tidy up the tranny cooler lines, and then drive it down to the exhaust shop tomorrow for the exhaust (it's only 1/3 mile from me...if that)

Getting excited, but, pretty nervous all at the same time.

Guest tony78_280z
Getting excited, but, pretty nervous all at the same time.
I'm about to insure mine and start driving it on the highways. I know exactly what you mean. I frickin can't wait, but I wonder what is gonna break or go wrong?

...ok, it's at the exhaust shop now.

I drove it there (only about 1/3 mile), but, didn't get on it still...I actually passed a cop on the way there, though!! Scary as all get out!

For some reason my turn signals aren't working now, though. I think I might have left a ground undone when I did my harness....will need to check that out when I get it back.