HybridZ

A few more KA tranny questions

Phyxius

I've heard some say that the KA tranny will bolt right up without swapping the bell housing, but it will put the tranny at a wierd angle.

My question is: how many degrees is it? Is it bad enough that the shifter would not be able to move correctly?

Also, the bell housing on the KA tranny that I have is marked TA 71B #5. From what I understand, 240sx trannys are F5W71C's. I'm sure that this trans came from a KA.

On a side note, I also have a FJ20 trans marked ZL 71B #5. The bell housings are identical, but the internals are somewhat different. It is quite a bit shorter as well.

When I swaped on my 280z bellhousing, I looked at the two side by side.. and IIRC, I decided NOT to simply bolt it up (although, indeed it would..) because it seamed to me the angle would be too much.. I'm guessing about 25-30 degrees. I figured it wouldn't be doing any favors for the fluid, as the fill plug would end up LOWER, therefore how would you get the proper amount of gear oil in there?!? Also, it looked like the shifter would be manageble, but weird.. First gear would be about where 3rd used to be..

the fill plug stays in the same place, it's located on the front half of the trans case which is the part you'd be keeping, the tranny sits maybe 5 degrees, enough to keep the tranny mount from being flat but not enough to be an issue, you will need to bore out the one countershaft hol,e swap a bearing over, modify your trans crossmember and shorten your driveshaft, aside from having the shaft shortened it's not a real big deal so long asn you can weld your trans crossmsmber back together

Perhaps you didn't realize what was asked evildky;

I've heard some say that the KA tranny will bolt right up WITHOUT swapping the bell housing' date=' but it will put the tranny at a wierd angle.

[/quote']

See.. I take that as meaning NOT using the front half of the case from the Z on the KA tranny. IE; bolting the KA tranny up 'as is' to the Z engine block. In which case, it would end up on a strange angle putting the shifter and fill plug at an angle as well.

I had both trannys side by side and made measurments before I broke them apart and although they LOOK similar, there are diferences. Startor bolt holes are threaded on one, not on other. The KA tranny has more mounting holes than the Z, although only 4 bolts were used to hold it to the engine.. The slave cly apeared to be diffrent too.