HybridZ

So I'm to look at a 240 this weekend. Suggestions/questions

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Well I've stalked around here long enough I figure I mine as well post. I finally found a 240z in the paper. I think I'm gonna finally take the plunge and try to get one since I've really just fallen in love with these cars. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when I'm looking at it? Like certain areas that might have worse rust than others or if it's rusting somewhere to stay away from it. Obviously I don't really care about the engine that much since well I'm posting this in here. That kinda leads me to a couple questions.

I'm young so I've been into imports since I got my lisence so I really don't know a whole lot about SBC in general or the motors themselves. You guys have any suggestions for reading material or other websites that would help me improve my knowledge in rebuilding/modding and modding Datsuns in general. Also any sort of reading material about doing the swap itself. JTR makes the manual right? And last if you guys have any sort of websites that have Chevy parts on them that are good since well I have a whole shitload of import parts sites but nothing for domestic engines.

I wasn't really sure whether to post this in here, but seems lke the place. Obviously sticking around here I'll probably learn a lot, but just looking to see if there's a way to quickly increase my knowledge on these subjects as I'd like to get started with it this summer.

Order the manual from http://www.jagsthatrun.com and then spend some time reading through the archives here. Also read the stickies at the top of the forums, and of course, use the search feature as 99% of all the questions you could possibly have have been answered several times over.

Welcome to HybridZ!

...I really don't know a whole lot about SBC in general or the motors themselves. You guys have any suggestions for reading material or other websites that would help me improve my knowledge....

I too just started to know about SBC since I bought a V8 240Z few months ago. I strongly recommend David Vizard's(aka "Vizard the Wizard") books :

How to build horsepower vol.1---must read, especially beginners

How to build horsepower vol.2---this book focuses on intake and carburetion

How to build max performance Chevy small blocks on a budget---has more to do with actual engine building than general power production knowledge

These great books are well written and easy to read. Vizard is a very precise kind of guy. He's very knowledgeable and very experienced. You can't point out anything wrong in his books.