HybridZ

Engine Longevity?

How long does a moderate performance motor last?

After a recent track day, I was reflecting on the fact my motor just doesn't seem as crisp as it was. Still pulls pretty good, but not sharp. It was built with a fresh bore and pistons about 5 years ago. Probably saw about 5K street miles and 20 track events, then a year a half ago I freshened it up with new rings, speed pro plasma moly. Since then it has seen about 3K miles on track, and probably 2K street miles. It will use about a quart of oil on a typical track day, and has some blow by, just enough to see a little oil around the breathers. I had it apart about this time last year, but didn't put new rings in. Judging from the piston rock, PW clearance is 10 or 12 thou. Last night I ran a compression test and the results were not encouraging, 115-125 on all cylinders. Not good for a 10:1 motor. Dammit. I was hoping to get thru this season with the motor intact.

What kind of life do you see from your builds? Mine's a first gen SBC, probably 400-450hp.

John