HybridZ

Is anybody using iron heads???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bid on a set of Chevy heads casting #462624. I looked up the #'s and found that the heads have 76cc chambers with 2.02/1.60 valves stock. I bid low so it oculd be a good deal. I'm assuming that because of the larger valves this head set will flow well on my 383 stroker...right?? Any suggestions or comments regarding either my good or bad decision would be good.

SpencZ

I am using cast iron heads, DartII with

2.05/1.60's no problem with them.

The 2.02/1.60 cast heads are a good heads

I would be aware of issues when buying

used heads off the net from someone that you do not know. If the heads are cracked what

can you do??? some cracks can be fixed, some cannot. You have allready spent a bunch of

money on shipping because of the weight.

Sending them back may cause a big loss!

If the guy will guarantee them and you get them cheap, go for it. Remember your

heads give you the power, you might want to spend a little extra money for some new ones..

Yes, although I want the new Fast Burn Al heads from GM, I have the old "double hump" or "fuelie" cast iron heads, casting number ending in 461. 2.02/1.60 stock. Port matched. 3 angle valve job, Lunati springs, 235 lbs @ .500". 7/16" screw in studs and guide plates. Comp Cams Magnum Pro 1.52:1 roller rockers.

These heads and others like them from the 60s is what made the SBC the thing to beat. Ford didn't have anything comparable for a long time, and the SBC double hump heads were put on just about everything that came with a 327, but not all 327s.

Of course, now days we have so many aftermarket choices, it's great. Funny that the GM Fast burn head is still running with the best of them for street/strip performance levels. You've got to hand it to those GM engineers.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

SpencZ I have a set of the 461 Fuelie heads that look like they were never rebuilt. They have the smaller valves, but could be modified to fit the 2.02/1.60 valves.They also have 64cc. $200.00 If you want them.(plus shipping)

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited March 08, 2000).]