HybridZ

Designing Camber plates early Z

I'm rebuilding the whole front suspension. This is a street car.. for the most part. While building I have been researching options and ideas. So far I have raised the LCA .750 and have installed AZ car adjustable arms. Koni struts too.

Now I am interested in camber plate ideas...

Purchased the AZ camber plates too. That kit is super and all very good high quality designed stuff.

Just to be clear here in no way here am I trying to say bad things about AZ car.

I just dont feel comfortable welding to the stock body. My Z is painted already and I would not be able to install them properly. Afraid of burning the fender body work and paint.

So I am thinking of other routes. Have seen the Ground Control plates. They look great and have seen many use them but who knows how much critical structure they cut out and if they have stock hood clearnace etc. Also at $300 a piece they are an expensive risk.

So my current idea is to use the AZ camber pivot and the create my own plates from there. Basicaly a .375 thick alum plate from underneath and a .125 thick alum plate on top. This design would 'sandwhich' in between the existing shock tower mount and still have stock hood clearnace. Also doing this mod as it allows me to rasie the upper coilover spring seat in the car. About 1.25 higher than having the coilover seat stopping close the stock rubber donut spring seat. This should allow more room in between the strut body and upper spring seat when lowering the car.

After laying all this out in CAD with about 4 quater 20 fasteners holding the plates together my adjustment range is about .300 inches in each direction.

To me .300 inches of travel in each direction is not much. But maybe its a lot with my adjustable arms, I dont know. Here is a rough sketch layout so far.

If some of you expert Z road racers could chime in here that would be great.

front_camber_plates_assembly.jpg