HybridZ

Twin or single turbo Chevy headers

Guest FasterbyFosta

Guest FasterbyFosta

A good friend of mine is building a single turbo setup in his 73 camaro, he built a set of mild steel headers with a 1 3/4" tubing size. When I went over to his house, I noticed that they very well may fit a 240z with a SBC, and since I have a JTR kit 240z, and was planning on turboing it, I decided to try them on my car and see how they fit.

I have pictures of them at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/fasterbyfosta/lst?.dir=/mail

these were taken with a camera phone, i apologize, I can get better ones, if you want.

the only thing I didn't like about them was the angle on the driver side set, so we are going to bring them out to be the same as the passenger side set.

He told me he can make more sets, if anyone was interested in buying them. It can be in mild or stainless steel, and tig or mig welded (tig only on the SS). I thought some of you guys might be interested, so I decided to post info up on here, and see what you thought.

We didn't put the collecter on the mild set yet, cause I was trying to see where would be best for the 240z. I was worried about clearance issues with the shock towers, but as you can see, there is a large gap between them and the headers. It will clear a low mount alternator without any problem, and if the flange is put far enough back, you should be able to route the up pipe to the turbo/turbos over a regular alternator mount.

There are more pictures at these links, 4RS FED is the person that is making them.

MS headers:

http://www.norcal1320.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1663

SS headers:

http://www.norcal1320.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1706

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask either me here, or 4RS FED on 1320.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I Would Be Interested If Those Would Fit A Serpintine System With The High Alternator (pass) And High A/c Compressor (driver)..... Is He Going To Make A Single Colletor With A Bottom Mount Turbo Flange? Or Is That Up To The End Buyer?

Guest FasterbyFosta
I Would Be Interested If Those Would Fit A Serpintine System With The High Alternator (pass) And High A/c Compressor (driver)..... Is He Going To Make A Single Colletor With A Bottom Mount Turbo Flange? Or Is That Up To The End Buyer?

The headers will come with a collector on each, it will be up to the buyer to build the up-pipes to the turbo/turbos. That way you can tailor it to your specs.

Do you have a pic of your setup? I would need to see it to tell you if it would fit. I have a low alternator setup, so mine has way different clearances.

Guest FasterbyFosta

normal_DSC00365.JPG

normal_DSC00367.JPG

normal_DSC00370.JPG

These are the pics of the stainless headers. We actually moved the collecter back farther than in these pictures. I will post updated ones tommorow. From the the looks of it, you can route the up pipes around an alternator or A/C, as long as there is room between it and the hood...

Guest FasterbyFosta

These are the original pictures when we did the first assembly of the MILD steel headers

DSC00308%7E0.JPG

DSC00310%7E0.JPG

DSC00311%7E0.JPG

DSC00313%7E0.JPG

DSC00320%20%28Medium%29.JPG

DSC00319%20%28Medium%29.JPG

DSC00317%20%28Medium%29.JPG

These will also go into a early camaro chassis as you can see, if anyone is interested for ANOTHER project of they'res...

Guest FasterbyFosta
Hey I just had a thought. Would your friend be interested in making 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers for us Normally aspired Z's ?

I can ask, but its doubtful. He was making these for his car, and I realized they would fit in my 240z perfectly, so I got him to make me a set...

Hes not a fan of workin in confined spaces, and you know how confined that area is.

Guest FasterbyFosta
That Looks Like It'll Clear.... Humm How Much Do You Think He's Going To Ask?

For the mild steel $800 Tig welded with a 2.5" collector, or a 3" collector, with a 1 3/4" primary tube size. A set of these can be available within a week.

For the Stainless steel $1400 Tig welded, with a 2.5" collector, or a 3" collector. With a 1 3/4" primary tube size. These will take up to 2 weeks to make, since stainless is more tedious to weld, but comes out looking nicer. The huge price difference is influenced by the much higher price of the mandrel bent stainless, and that the welding is more difficult, and I said before.

Guest FasterbyFosta

normal_DSC00406.JPG

normal_DSC00407.JPG

normal_DSC00409.JPG

Looking like an alternator wont be a problem, and you CAN remove tall valve covers without taking the headers off.

Any questions? As I said, these are the first sets, so please voice any concerns.

Guest FasterbyFosta
Holy Sh!t Batman ...can you say 1000 HP.Those look very nice BTW.

Thank you, the guy welding them is amazing. Im actually aiming for 1khp with mine, and a GT4276...

Im guessing nobody is interested in getting a set made though?

OMG!!! :o That is absolutely gorgeous, he does do some really great work indeed!! You will definetly be the envy of all. You have to love someone that can make such beauty from something so simple

A definite artist!

Guest FasterbyFosta
They look excellent!

I would be interested' date=' but am unfortunately not in the market yet.

For those wondering, the price is pretty comparable to other builders making headers for turbo applicaitons... they ain't cheap.[/quote']

Well, its also depending on the # of people interested. I can get cheaper prices if there are more sold.

Guest bucnasty

I am interested but it depends on how exactly this will work together as id prfer a twin kit vs a single.

lmk email pm or whatever

chris.

• 5 years later...