HybridZ

Is this intercooler too small??

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Hey guys dunno if I asked this one before... I keep seeing you guys post pics of these I/C's you have bought or are already running, and thinking... damn, they are always way bigger than the one I'm using. So I got to thinking, maybe this freeby I/C I got is too small?

It's about 2' L by only 9" high, and 3" deep.. typical in all but the height... seems about half the height of the average one you guys use. The inlets are 2.5".

It's a Trust/Greddy brand so I'm not worried about a bad build quality or huge amounts of pressure drop (I hope?), but thinking maybe it's not big enough to affect a high enough temperature drop on the heated air or maybe it's just not big enough to support the power I'm at now or the power I will end up with some day? Pushing about 240rwhp now, aiming for 250-275rwhp as my final goal whenever I get around to the last few upgrades...

so what do you think? Too small?

I use a porsche 944 ic, they are core size 17.5 long by 5.5 high by 5.5 wide, and that one according to several like minded sites in the porsche crowd is said to be good for in upwards of 400 hp.

I know this much it really cools well.

Guest bastaad525

So I guess I'm good? I know pressure drop at higher RPM is pretty bad like 2 or 3 psi :( but I guess size wise I compares favorably to what some of you guys are running....

I would think your good, as well and like yo2001 says its better then not having one at all, but with as cheap as they are getting on ebay for a decent bar and plate intercooler it would be easy to upgrade if you wanted.

Guest bastaad525

yeah it seems I do get some pressure drop, 2-3psi by 6000rpm, with pressure dropping off slowly as RPM increases.

Which brings a question to mind... does it make sense to see more pressure drop as RPM goes up? The reason I ask is because I always thought that if the I/C was inefficent, pressure drop would occur regardless of the boost level and/or RPM... that it would be constant, and boost wouldn't fluctuate or fall off with RPM.

Anyways... I can deal with the pressure drop, if that's what it is even :D not that I could afford to replace it any time soon if I wanted to anyways. Really though I was just concerned more about the I/C's capacity... if it was too small for the amount of air I'm moving and power I"m making, or wouldn't be very efficient at cooling the charge enough.