HybridZ

83 t5 max hp?

zxgtr

I have a auto in my 83 right now and have a chance to pickup a factory t5 with low miles, Im going to be pushing around (hopefully) 350hp once the car is back together and want to make sure the stock t5 can do this.

What is your opinion on the max hp a stock t5 5speed can do?

You might consider trying the search function regarding the T5 tranny...its been discussed numerous time. But, basically it will work fine....but then again, maybe not for long at a drag strip. It just depends on your driving habits. If you're a young guy with a lack of self control, its likely not a good choice. But that just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks 2126, search didnt return any solid information for me, I will try again tho.

My goal is to get 350hp with a drivetrain that can do that, I wont be doing many drag races, mainly just driving around having a good time and doing some solo2 races, when I looked at this 3-4 years ago the stock setup could do the 350hp but like you said, possibly not for very long.

Any other opinions would be great, I'll get back to searching.

Thanks.

Ya maybe its just me and how I am searching but everythings regarding either the t56 or v8 related, nothing really saying what the stocker can do.

** found some stuff on zcar saying

"the T-5 will handle a lot of hp...especially if you dont drag race it (400hp).....over 300+ if you do......but not 400hp and drag racing...."

Not to shabby.

I do not think the '83 Camaro had a WC (World Class) T-5 because they didn't switch until '88. So the transmission you have will not handle a lot of torque. I think the max for a non-WC Borg Warner T-5 is 265 lb-ft with 300 lb-ft for the WC version and 500 lb-ft for the custom G-Force trans.

And no, the T-5 doesn't like full-on power-shifting, particularly with sticky tires.