HybridZ

injectors

woldson

hi everyone iam working on a 83 280zx. i am wanting to know infor on my injectors. i have found vering infor on the same injectors for this car. i have new turbo injectors and going for 350 hp. i have heard that those injectors with a higher pressure fule pump will do the trick. what are some of the specs on these injectors ie cfm, pulse with, voltage..... iam going to use megasqurit, thanks guys!

Guest bastaad525

well so far I have about 240hp *to the wheels* (that's about 270-280hp at the flywheel) on stock turbo injectors running 70psi of fuel pressure with an RRFPR at full boost/WOT. This is only about 16psi over the stock fuel pressure and still reasonably within safe limits, there is at least one guy here who has pushed stock injectors up to 100psi of fuel pressure with no problems, running that setup for about 2 years now. Not sure what power he's pushing though. I figure if I turned the fuel up another 10psi (80psi total) I could support maybe another 10-20hp... if I actually turned all the way up to 100psi I could probably get in the 275-300rwhp area at maybe 16-18psi of boost?

WOW! I've never heard about that before. Thanks. I did plan to run the stock injectors myself but looking for 240-250hp at the wheels. Sounds like that won't be a problem. 100psi is pushing it though. I wonder if you would want to up the size of your fuel lines from the tank at that point.

Guest bastaad525

well the guy who is running 100psi posts on these boards all the time his name is Pyro, send him a PM he's been VERY cool with me giving me lots of info on his setup and answering all my questions.

He's actually running the stock N/A injectors which are smaller than the turbo injectors, 190cc I think, he's also runing stock N/A EFI, which is why he runs such high fuel pressure, he is also running THREE fuel pumps to keep the flow up because as pressure increases that high flow can almost stop, choking up one solitary fuel pump. He's running the same RRFPR as I am. I forget how much boost or power Pyro is making but I think it's like 15psi? I don't remember if he's running all stock fuel lines but I know he's running the stock fuel rail... again, you should look him up if you're interested. Either way, that he's been running 100psi for two years is impressive and tells me that despite some guys oppinions on the subject, raising fuel pressure is not such a bad way to get more fuel when you need it.

I also read a very interesting article in a car mag where they tested some injectors at a wide range of different fuel pressures, and found that as pressure went up, the fuel injectors got MORE consistent, delivering more equal amounts of fuel over a set period of time (split among 8 injectors, these were OEM injectors from a camaro or mustang if I remember right). Secondly, as pressure went up, the spray patterns from the injectors improved immensely, the fuel atomized MUCH better and spread out more instead of just coming in a stream or 'dripping'. I imagine higher pressure might be better at keeping them clean as well?

As for me, I'm also running the stock fuel rail, and my fuel lines are the stock 240z fuel lines, well the feed is, I'm using a larger return line as the stock 240 return is VERY very small... I'm running a single MSD high flow fuel pump in place of the stocker, and when Tim240z installed this pump for me, fuel pressure jumped WAY high to 80psi at idle because the return is too small. Anyways, with the stock feed and just the one pump, everything was fine up to 75psi of fuel pressure when I tuned the AFM on the dyno... I was DEFINATELY getting enough fuel and could actually tune it to be quite rich so still had some room to grow, that was at 12psi and that's why I upped it a bit to 14, for a while, though am back down to 13 now, I bounce around a lot as I dont know how much mileage is on the turbo and I'm more interested in keeping it alive than making more power.