HybridZ

V8Z thoughts

OK.

Have had the Z running for about 3 or 4 days now and have been driving it back and forth to work.

Now that I'm able to relax and have gotten most of the bugs worked out, I'm very pleased with the overall driveability of the car. It's not a built engine, just a stock 350 with an Edelbrock intake and the block hugger headers. While it may not be a powerhouse like most of you guys, I'm quite happy with the overall effect of having a V8 in the Z.

The car just feels "easier" to drive now with the V8. I don't have to push the engine to get the car to move and I don't have to wrap it out to get in front of other traffic. It's very nice!!!

I do have a built up suspension, but, I can't even tell there is any added weight at all. It rides just like it did before and does everything else all the same. If I didn't know any better (and maybe I don't) I'd almost swear that the steering is actually EASIER than it was before. Maybe I'm wrong...it just feels that way to me.

Although I still don't have the interior reinstalled (I'm going to have new carpet put back in) it is in no way too loud for "comfortable" driving (my suspension is beyond stiff, so comfort is kind of a thing in the past anyway...although, I wouldn't mind a little more noise coming from the exhaust. I plan on getting a more straight through muffler than the MagnaFlo I have on the car now.

I started to question myself for awhile on if I made the right decision...but...I'm glad I stuck through it and worked all of my problems out.

One decision I made was to use the TH350 transmission that came with the El Camino donor. Alot of people say that one would regret running the TH350. I don't regret the decision...however, I do wish I would have had the funds to get a different tranny...however, if I would have waited to get a different tranny the engine probably still be on a stand, rather than driving the Z around...or, I wouldn't have had enough for other stuff I needed. Now that I have the car running I have the luxury of debating which tranny I should go with. I'm still thinking the 2004R would be the best choice for me. I like the gear ratios of it over the 700r4 and they seem to hold up well in lighter cars with a moderate amount of power (I can't go too crazy and expect to pass emissions).

Thanks for all of the help over the past couple of months guys!!

Bill, I don't doubt that steering feels lighter....the weight of the long L6 has been taken off the nose.

As for the tranny......sure it is better to do it the way you want it the first time, but like you said....at least you are driving it!!! Go with the TH200 4R. The driveshaft will not have to be changed. all you will have to do is adapt your tranny X-member as the 200s mount is farther back by a couple of inches or so.....

Glad you are having fun with it!!

Guest tony78_280z

I just swapped out my 350 for a 700r4. I, as well, am running a stock motor with huggers and a carb. I dunno what everyone is talking about, but swapping these trannys did not require any drive shaft modification. The mount needed to be moved back a few inches. I dunno what your skills in fabricating are, but for me it wasn't a big deal.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if 700r4s come in different lengths because alot of people have said that the drive shaft wont fit. I'm telling you it did. So be sure to measure your overall length of the 350 before making a purchase.

The 700r4 has a lower 1st than the 2004r (or any GM manual), and it seems to hold that gear a bit too long. (It is even worse with the B&M shift kit.) So driving on roads with a 25 mph speed limit (or a school zone) is a bit annoying as it hangs in the low gear. But if you like to burn tires and throw your head back on the take off, a low 1st is alot of fun. :twisted: Cruising at 55 I barely had my foot on the peddel so I think I'm getting good milage in high. 700s are a bit more common in the junkyard if that is an issue for you.

Goto this site http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php and get the data for various GM trannys. Then goto this site http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/ and enter the data to get an idea of the personality of your tranny and gear ratios. If you goto my website (link in signature) I have a copy of the personality of my set up generated by those two links.

As for the B&M shift kit: I'm not sure if I'd do it again. Very firm shifts equals more rear wheel hp and torque, but not as smooth of a ride. B&M advertise longer life of the bands in the tranny (not sure what those do) as the bands aren't used as much. But I think it might tear up U-joints quicker as it shifts firm enough to bark the tires, especialy in the 1-2 shift, even at 20mph, in the school zone, by the crossing guard, who is a cop. :redface:

Glad to hear your driving it. I hope you'll be daily or semi-daily. Seems like you and I are almost at the same place. I got to get a bolt drilled out of my tranny and the gasket replaced I'm gonna be driving regularly. *Knock on wood* Read all about it here :)

Yep!! Sounds like we're right about *there*

What size tires are you runniing? I'm running 245/45r16's in the rear and when I mash it...it just...well...goes!!! Not alot of tire spin...maybe some...it just hooks up and goes!!! Of course, your 1st is probably alot lower than mine.

The bands in your tranny are used to hold an element. One of the things a shift kit does is makes the band grab onto the element quicker, which reduces the amount of time the element slips...think of it like...how some people ride the clutch, while they're riding the clutch is wearing...same concept. That's how it helps your bands last longer.

I know there are different tailshaft lengths for the TH350...I wonder if you got one of the long tailshafted TH350s...hmm...

Anyway, at the moment I've driven it every day this week. Thought I'd give my R1 a break :) I just went out and shimmed up my rear diff, so the adapter is no longer grazing my rear sway bar...makes backing up alot nicer now :)

Sorry to hear about the bolt breaking off in your tranny pan. I swear, if it's not one thing it's another!!!

I decided to not run a hood latch...so, in addition to saving up for a different tranny, I'm also saving up for a different hood. I would feel bad about drilling holes through my very nice factory hood...at the moment I'm cruising without a hood...gotta admits...the looks from all of the domestic and import racers alike feels kind good :D

Guest tony78_280z

205/75/14 I got a set of aluminum "American Racing" rims very cheap awhile ago. I love em and wouldn't change them for nuttin. It was amazing how much they improved handling and steering.

I have no suspension work done, and it rides like it did bofore the swap. Of course I have a 2+2 and it might be designed to handle more weight.

Ahhh,. yes. My 350 came out of a truck. And I think trucks have a longer tail shaft. So I might be inclined to say I had a long tail shaft tranny, and this is why the 700r4 fit so well..

Driving my THM-350c I had hardly any burn out potential. So the difference is substantial.

350 1st gear: 2.52

2004r 1st gear: 2.74

700r4 1st gear: 3.06

I drilled the hood and put in pins. I plan to fabricate a fiberglass hood this summer. So I've trashed my "very nice factory hood."