HybridZ

z31

Guest myslow1

Guest myslow1

ok i have read and read and i want to learn more about a lt1 or ls1 swap into a 1987 300zx N/A. I know it has been done and i just want to know exactally how it works.... when the motor is in do you use the 300zx drive shaft and rear end, or do you use whole chevy drivetrane? If anyone has done it also, what was your down time? and what kinds of problems did you run into?

thanks

Guest Aaron

There are several chevy swaps into z31's, but AFAIK, there are no LT1's or LS1's. My dad did a 400, but his is sold mounted as a drag car. You have to make (or have made) a driveshaft. There are major clearance issues with the hood. The top of the carb is about 1/2"-3/4" from the hood. I don't know how that equates to the FI intake on a newer motor, but I would think they would have fewer issues except maybe at the very front of the motor.

Guest myslow1

can the existing z drive shaft be altered or does a new one need to be made? for clearance can the engine be mounted lower? I have seen the swap done, I would just like to learn more about it before i do it... i have the facility, time, tools, and experience i just need to read. Is there a link or something where someone has done a z31 350 swap?

Guest Aaron
can the existing z drive shaft be altered or does a new one need to be made? for clearance can the engine be mounted lower? I have seen the swap done, I would just like to learn more about it before i do it... i have the facility, time, tools, and experience i just need to read. Is there a link or something where someone has done a z31 350 swap?

If I remember correctly, my dad used the rear u-joint from the Z and the front u-joint from a chevy on a custom drive shaft. You could also do what many people here have done and replace the flange on the diff which will allow the use of chevy u-joints on both ends.

We mounted the engine with the oil pan about 1 1/2" from the top of crossmember and the bottom of the pan about even with the bottom of the crossmember. I don't remember the clearance below the balancer. If you lower the engine much more, you may have problems with your driveshaft angle, and there may be issues with the pan meeting the pavement.