HybridZ

Can "high resistance" 280ZXT f.injectors cause intermittent bucking/sputtering?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

a little more than a month ago, you replied to my issue of a 83 280ZXT which sputters and bucks shortly after it is started.

I know it gets a bad habit to be 2nd guessing mechanics (I do it all the time, since I've no practical mechanical abilities), but since you don't know me, and don't know the mechanic (Scott at Newton Automotive, apparently a former Nissan mechanic), I was wondering what you think of his advice, which is that he thinks the fuel injectors aren't providing enough fuel...hmm, seems like I bought 6 used ones from Z Barn last year, and I've been using Techron, etc, like crazy, to no improvement. Moreover, he's suggesting putting in one of those potentiometers that you can raise the rich level (even though I already have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator). Finally, I can't understand why poor fuel injectors would only cause a misfire on part throttle, soon after the car is started, and not on high demand...nor I'm not sure how that would just "go away" after the car is driven more, or why the car bucks/sputters even more after sitting for a while (isn't LESS fuel required for warm restarts?!).

Anyway, I did replace the fuel filter after reading your post...didn't do anything! I was hoping you might chime in on whether I should go with this shop's advice...my fear is he's just using a functional knowledge to drive my car for 5 mins, and then get me outa there b/c he farms out cars for more ordinary, daily service issues!

You may want to ask around (friends and perhaps your mechanic) and see if anyone in the area has a wideband O2 meter you can hook up to your car (LM-1 for example). You will be able to see whether it is fuel related or not by the air/fuel mixture.

Guest SpyderZ

The problem is the plugs at your ECU. I have this problem off and on and I push on those plugs and the car runs fine. I had this same problem on my other 280ZXT also and I put in newer plugs from the Z31 and it cure the problem. I will make another trip to the junkyard soon for some more Z31 ECU plugs so this car. Good luck

V.