HybridZ

glass removal

GAZRNR

I'm stuck. I'm trying to remove the side windows on a 78Z I am getting ready to paint. Is there a trick to getting the metal trim off without destroying it? I got all the other glass, windshield, hatch glass and door glass out but the side windows have me stumped.

Anyone???

Thanks,

Rusty

Hey Rusty,

I met you and Mike K, B16crx and Nullbound at Hooters last year, I had the silver z with the blue Corbeau seats. Any way Mark is correct on the glass removal, once you are ready to install all body components back together -a good reference book to have if you do not have in your Z library is "How To Restore Your Datsun Z- Car " by Wick Humble. The book has some great ideas for restoration, drawings and part illustrations.

That is great you are getting ready to paint the Z. The Wick Humble book is very well written and illustrated to deal with issues with the door and hatch parts, windows and I know from experience. Well, my Z is in the garage waiting for a heart !!! I passed on a deal for 327/T5 just before Xmas. I told my neighbor about the motor- he bought the motor and it is now in a renegade 914 !!!!! Another month or so and i will be getting busy again-since it is getting warmer, my wife will sacrifice her side of the garage to store parts and I will have more work area. I have some bodywork, wheel/tire combo and engine plans that will be wild. Looking forward to pictures of your car once you get it painted.

Remove the interior trim around the windows. There are 4 (I think) small phillips head screws that hold the frame in place. Remove these and pull out the window.

Mark

Yes, the whole window comes out---might take a tiny bit of force since the rubber surrounding the window may be sticking to the body. Keep in mind that there is not "trim" onthose windows--you're dealing with a fixed unit of metal, glass, and rubber, and it comes out all together!

Davy