HybridZ

ZX Steering rack questions

I have '80 280ZX GL that came with power steering gear. The power steering lines gave out on me so I'm running it unassisted. It takes much effort to use at low speeds and has a lot of play. I'm doing a turbo swap and the steeing gear need to go because it's blocking my intercooler piping. I want a manual steering rack that came on the base model ZX's, but that requires a different crossmember which I cannot find. I was told the power racks on the 81-83's feel really nice unassited. Would I also need a different crossmember if I were to swap in that rack? If anybody has a manual rack assembly for sale with the crossmember, tie rods, etc., please contact me.

Thanks

Not sure about the crossmember but, my power steering feels like crud without the pump hooked up. :icon11:

hmm...looks like I'm definately in the market for the manual swap. I was just wondering because the guy I bought the turbo motor from had all three steering systems in his '81. He started out with the ball, went to the power rack unassisted, and when I saw his car he had the real manual rack. He said the power one felt the best of all three but he's not moviated enough to swap back.

I thought the feeling of my 83's power rack was awesome. I have heard complaints about them locking during an autocross type situation, but never experienced this myself (never autocrossed). I would highly recommend the steering feel of the power R&P.

On a side note, I thought years ago that I could one in my 72 to give me power. Well, that was not true, since the 72 is front steer, 83 rear steer. So, I have a power rack from an 82 that had just over 100K on the ODO. I also have the polyurethane bushings for it. No pressure though, let me know if you are interested.

Joshua